• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Best way to make custom ram air/ cold air?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are you starving for air? Is your filter new and clean?

KiefOlsen92

I replaced the air cleaner a couple months ago with one from napa... I was just wondering cuz I read some guys did it but couldn't find pictures. Runs fine, but there's always room for improvement I figure.

Keith_J

Run a stock air duct on it. Something you can get from LMC. The duct will admit cooler air from outside, cool air is denser. You have to remove the knockout on the core support, it is pre-cut.

K9Vic

Add a snorkel, use a Toyota FJ 80 as it is the best closest fit on the passenger side.

You can also move the air away from the engine as much as possible. I will use the stock tube on the civi 6.2L or one from LMC lke the picture below. You need a PVC 4" to 3" rubber adapter to fit onto the air filter cover. This is also a good way to run to the snorkel if you add that using a longer 4" tube as it adapts well to filter cover.

51895991.jpg

edpdx

KiefOlsen92, maybe you think there is something missing because the intake snout on the stock air cleaner is short and looks incomplete. My truck is the same way; but I have been told here that this is normal. K9vic's idea to add a hose to the grille through the radiator support is sound,but you probably still have stock batteries installed and that would mean you would have to be fairly creative to squeeze a hose under the front battery. A hose to a snorkel on the passenger side would get you cold air as well, but, again you'll need to cut a hole in the fender and cheat past the battery again. Post pics if you complete the project.

hunderliggur

I ran an LMC duct from the air cleaner to the passenger grill knockout a year ago. Biggest improvement was about 3dB in the sound level. A clean air filter makes a bigger difference ;-)