• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Best way to tell when power is restored?

csheath

Power just went out so I started up the generator. Last time I requested a call back when power was restored the utility company didn't call for 8 hours after I had power back on so that method is unreliable at best.

What method are some of you using?

I thought I could use a no contact indicator but the main breaker has power on the back feed side and the supply side is shielded by the interlock. Funny thing is I read no power on the generator breaker and I know it's live on both sides so reading through a breaker is not a given.

I am reluctant to try hooking up a lamp on the supply side since there is no telling when it will become live. My only choice right now is to go out and look at the smart meter every so often to see if it has a display.

natrgatr

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Check some of the transfer switch companies. I saw one from Siemens, I think, that was a stand alone alarm using a snap on CT on the main to sense for power. You get an audible alarm after a power outage when the power comes back on.

Triple Jim

The Reliance Controls Corporation THP108 POWER BACK Mains Return Alarm works well.

https://www.amazon.com/Reliance-Controls-Corporation-THP108-Return/dp/B003KREORA

It has an antenna wire that needs to be wrapped around any lead on the supply side of the main breaker, if you can get to one. It seems to use capacitive coupling, so you could probably even add an extra insulated wire stub to the input of the main breaker just to wrap the antenna around if you needed to.

Last edited:

csheath

We usually have fresh bananas in the house. I could stick a banana in each ear. :clinto:

rhurey

Steel Soldiers Supporter
And wrap every last inch of the detection cable around the input wire. Doesn't take much missing for it to refuse to alert.

CMPPhil

Hi
I went simple, when I put in my transfer switch I wired in a out side light socket near the generator connection on the garage where the generator lives, it is wired into the utility side of the transfer switch with a 15amp screw in fuse. When the utility power is there the light is normally on. To keep it from being on all the time it has a switch to turn off the light. So when the power goes off, throw power transfer switch, turn on utility avaliable light switch going to the blub, start generator let it warm up then throw in load breaker and the generator is suppling the power to house.

Every now an then look out the window and see if the light has come on. I've even put a plug on the utility avalible leg after the switch so I could plug in a radio tuned into some load music but never have bothered.

Cheers Phil

Triple Jim

rhurey said:
And wrap every last inch of the detection cable around the input wire. Doesn't take much missing for it to refuse to alert.
I didn't find that to be the case, but I'm sure every installation is different. I actually extended my antenna with some RG-58 coax. There's a sensitivity adjustment inside the housing, but they don't tell you about it.

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was going to say when my neighbors lights came back on. :D

Where I live the power company will send you a text when the ticket your outage is on is closed out. There will be an hour or two lag sometimes.

Otherwise I glance at my meter to see if the display is on.

csheath

I was going to say when my neighbors lights came back on. :D

Where I live the power company will send you a text when the ticket your outage is on is closed out. There will be an hour or two lag sometimes.

Otherwise I glance at my meter to see if the display is on.
Can't really see my neighbors from my house. And the call back offered by our co-op may have an 8 to 10 hour lag. When I called in today's outage the system didn't offer the call back option so it may no longer exist.

This little doodad I ordered should do the trick for me. I will get the $35 investment back in saved fuel.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I bought one of those Reliance units on Amazon a few months back... any day now I'll install it. Got my father-in-law one as well (I refurbed an 803A for him) and he has already put his in, and said it works perfectly.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A hand held tester like these, would be a simple solution if you cant see your neighbors and you don't mind checking yourself occasionally.

Simply touch it to your service cable...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUw79RJMj-g

dependable

I installed one of those Powerback alarms a while ago. Works fine, use zip ties to secure sensor wire, I did it with tape the first time and it came loose enough not to work.

csheath

A hand held tester like these, would be a simple solution if you cant see your neighbors and you don't mind checking yourself occasionally.

Simply touch it to your service cable...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUw79RJMj-g
The main power feed is not accessible in my case. It passes into a flush mounted panel in the garage through conduit. My garage walls are finished and insulated like the rest of the house. In my original post I stated that I tried this method on the main breaker but it wouldn't work.

I will sign off with my latest selfie taking a break from not doing much.

selfie-stump.jpg

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I went the low-tech route. I have a cabin on my property that is not serviced by my MEP003A (yet). I leave the cabin porch light on that I can barely see from my house. My EMC doesn't notify us when the power is restored, even if requested to do so. I'm using a manual transfer switch.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks