• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Best ways to Research your Deuce's History

dmetalmiki

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Best ways to Res

SNAP I have an M45 fire unit and attended a show with it for the first time last weekend..everyone was WELL impressed! (as far as I know there is only ONE other here in U.K.) has the continental ld465 fitted..(so) I fitted a "screaming" turbo!!(I just happend to have lying around((as you do!))) goes like a train and sounds fantastic now! (I did see the doors were "badged" the same as yours..but with brittish royal army service corps motifs as well..circa 1978??.oh and its on twin rears and has turret squirter!!

Barrman

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Best ways to Res

The only numbers that should "match" are the data plate and the frame number. The frame number is stamped into the frame between the drivers side front wheel and the front bumper. You can squat in front of the tire and should be able to see it.

My '52 and '53 USAF M35's have the following numbers on the frame and data plate. 107871 & 119422. I gave you those as reference to what the number sequence will be near.

The painted on markings might be real tough to see under all the paint added since. But, with a proper glare or better yet, a wet surface and a side glare, you should be able to see a "ghost" of a number on the hood and bumper if it is still there. I can sometimes see the number on the hood of one of mine if it is wet and the sun is just right. I have yet to find anything on the other truck no matter how I look at it.

However, my M715 was also a fire truck and was all white. I sanded the hood to bare metal and never found a single marking. When it was time to sand the rest of the truck, I just smoothed out the surface and shot paint over it last year. Just a few days ago, I was sitting next to the truck and the sun was just right for me to see the "ghost" of a "5" on the drivers side fender. I couldn't feel it, didn't see it or feel it when sanding. Yet, my tire pressure number was still there and I didn't even know it. The point is to not give up on looking for original markings.

neil2007

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Best ways to

Barrman said:
The only numbers that should "match" are the data plate and the frame number. The frame number is stamped into the frame between the drivers side front wheel and the front bumper. You can squat in front of the tire and should be able to see it.

My '52 and '53 USAF M35's have the following numbers on the frame and data plate. 107871 & 119422. I gave you those as reference to what the number sequence will be near.

The painted on markings might be real tough to see under all the paint added since. But, with a proper glare or better yet, a wet surface and a side glare, you should be able to see a "ghost" of a number on the hood and bumper if it is still there. I can sometimes see the number on the hood of one of mine if it is wet and the sun is just right. I have yet to find anything on the other truck no matter how I look at it.

However, my M715 was also a fire truck and was all white. I sanded the hood to bare metal and never found a single marking. When it was time to sand the rest of the truck, I just smoothed out the surface and shot paint over it last year. Just a few days ago, I was sitting next to the truck and the sun was just right for me to see the "ghost" of a "5" on the drivers side fender. I couldn't feel it, didn't see it or feel it when sanding. Yet, my tire pressure number was still there and I didn't even know it. The point is to not give up on looking for original markings.
Where should I look for the bumber number... Is it the number on the driverside or passengerside of the bumper?

I can still see the air pressure paintings. They appear to have been put on after the last repaint though (If it had been repainted...).

Does anyone know if the front bumper on these units had the chevron yellow strips on it or was that something that one of the local Fire Departments added?

Neil

Attachments

neil2007

O.k! Here's the big ol' tomatoe all cleaned up! First bath in over 15 years!

Can anyone make out what the bumper number is on the driverside of the bumper? Theres just enough there that someone who is familiar with the numbers scheme may be able to make a good educated guess as to what the number could be.

Unfortunately, at some point in time one of the previous owners had already tried sanding the bumper and this is what I was left with... looks like they sanded a little too much at points.

During the spray down lastnight, I found only ONE support bracket in one of the rear cabinet doors that was Airforce (yellow-green). All of the rest of the paint that came off from the pressure washing only revealed a dark black primer. Could this door just be a replacement or do you think it was just missed and not stripped completely when it got it's nice bright red paint when it came into the Civilian Defense program?

Anyway, here is the most recent pics of the 530 fresh from a pressure washing...

Thanks!

Neil

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks