• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Better Horn

FSBruva

So I was finally able to upgrade the weak deuce horn to something more substantial and worthy of the deuce... It's about 3' long, and came off an old Kenworth. 1,000 thanks to Dave_P (SS Member) for helping me with the install of this. A video of the result can be found here:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8756658497064326106

Enjoy!

Matt

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
C'mon Matt, you could have at least painted over the chrome. I think you wil be my new Malibu Deuce target

FSBruva

Kenny-

We were mainly interested in getting the thing working. Now that the mounts are all fabbed up and everything, look forward to the horn blending in to its surroundings a little more.

With less than 60 psi in the system, it sounds like a fog horn. With 90, you get the blat from the video. Either way, it's a million times better than the squeek.

Matt

Jones

Don't forget your ear plugs. The Nathans have a 20 mile range in clear, still air. My personal favorite is still the Whelan PAP112 Power Air Horn Plus with it's companion 100 watt speaker. The yard horn on the baby HEMTT is a 24volt beep-beep horn like the Plymouth Roadrunners had; which inevidably gets snickers and a certain amount of polite tittering. The air horn is the standard two trumpet model and certainly respectable in it's own right.
But, for those rare incidences when I not only want to scare the be-jesus out of the clown who just cut me off, but peel the paint off the back surfaces of his rig too; the Whelan is without equal. (It's the same horn set-up that fire trucks and ambulances use for clearing intersections).

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
a 24volt beep-beep horn like the Plymouth Roadrunners had; which inevidably gets snickers and a certain amount of polite tittering.
I am very familiar with said issue :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Capt.Marion

Hmmm.... i was contemplating Nathan K5LAs. That's what they use on the local freight lines 'round here. (CSX and Norfolk Southern) We have this hellish 4 way stop that is on the way to everywhere and there are some real 'tards and numb-nutted drivers talking on their cells that piss me off.... I would have to contain myself though, because that would probably cause a major accident and break some windows :D

reblawyer

From a professional point of view, I think the locomotive horns might be a bit of a liability. For instance you blow your horn at a "tard" and he goes into cardiac arrest (as I would if I heard a train horn right behind me) could be bad.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
"I think the locomotive horns might be a bit of a liability. For instance you blow your horn at a "tard" and he goes into cardiac arrest (as I would if I heard a train horn right behind me) could be bad."

"Some people just need killin" is still a valid defense in a murder trial here in Alabama. In my opinion any moron that pulls out in from of a much bigger (and heavier) vehicle deserves any punishment meted out. Before I was mobilized I was a long haul trucker that hauled hazardous waste. I wish I had a nickle for every slack jawed, knuckle dragging cretin that pulled out in front of my Peterbuilt with a tanker full of fuel behind me. Nothing like a set of train horns to teach the unwashed masses that "life is hard when you are stupid".

n1vbn

As a former Locomotive Engineer I agree The Nathan K5LA is the nuts for a truck. I had one set aside until some **^&$@!@$#$%^% broke into the garage and the horn was the only item missing. I bought it back in 1984 when on vacation at Steamtown...took a daytrip with a machinist to a scrapyard where they were scrapping N&W SD45's.

Specs for the K5LA are in still air at 100 PSI (3/4 inch feed line) audiblity is 2.5 miles and all locomotives maintain air at 130-140 PSI. 5 bells total and the bass bell stands 36" long. When rebuilt with a new diaphram kit it sounds beautiful.

I still want one....anyone got one available?

Capt.Marion

WCJIV, that is a Nathan air horn, but that isn't the K5LA. that appears to be a P5.
look here. Scroll down to Nathan/Airchime and look at the airchime K5LA. It is the silver horns all 5 in a row on the manifold (little rack thingy) with the red bells. (Inside of the horn/trumpet things) From what I've heard, those things are purdy damn loud.

n1vbn- if you want to buy a kit of teh K5LAs, they are like $1300 from grover air horns.

hot rod deuce

HOLLY COW 1300 for a horn? Sounded like a good idea at first. I think i will stick with my 165 dollar IOWA-80 Trucker train horn. You should see peope when they figure out that all the noice is from an army truck. My personal favorite is when people see me around town they tell me "I thought the train fell off the trackes or they moved them to my front yard"

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks