• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Better to wait, or just go for it

Crawdaddy

I've been looking at getting a deuce. However, the guy I was looking at getting the deuce from, only has trucks without winches, and isn't sure when the next time he'll get one with a winch is. Additionally, he charges a $1000 premium for winch trucks over non-winch trucks. Honestly, I don't have any specific uses for the winch in mind, other than possibly a stuck truck recovery or large dragging operation here and there.

Now, I've been going bezerk awaiting the day when I can own one of these fine pieces of military history, and the news that he doesn't have a winch truck dashed my hopes. I do know that after the fact I can get the parts required to install the winch and install it myself. It seems like the parts to add a winch go for $1000-$1500 on average. So, is it worth it to just get a non-winch truck for now, and add the winch later? Or, should I just hold out and hope I can find the magical winch truck one day. I am buying from a private company/guy because I don't have the resources to sucessfully recover a deuce in unknown condition from a depot like redstone over 7 hours away at 70mph, much less 55mph.

I just don't want to jump and regret it later. Thanks!

poppop

If a winch truck is important to you then wait. It will probablaly cost you more than. the $1000.00 to add one not counting the work involved

I don't like W/W trucks, unless you have a real need for the winch. The winch adds a lot of xtra weight to the front end of a truck that has an already heavy front end. A winch is a "manly" type item that most guys mess-up or nearly kill someone with. I would get a truck and then see if you need a winch.

bsorcs

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you don't need the winch, and the truck is in good running condition and worth [to you] what he'll sell it for, get it and get started on maintenance/clean-up/parts/etc. Just check it over closely before driving it home.

As to recovery, I bought a proverbial pig in a poke, had it serviced in Huntsville, and drove it home [Tucson] without problems, if you don't count losing both alternator belts. My recovery costs, plus the service work cost, were less than the shipping estimates I had. No substitute for blind luck, I guess.

Good luck.
bs

mcmullag

maybe flip a coin?

It's truly a personal decision. I had a non winch deuce for 2.5 years and it was great. I sold it and got a winch deuce just because I think they look a little cooler but I may never need that winch.
Mine are just for displays and parades and fun to tinker on.
I bet if you get a non-winch truck for now, you will have a lot
of fun with it and can sell it and buy a winch truck later, or
add the winch.
Best of luck to ya.

Attachments

gunboy1656

I bought a winch truck cause I like the look more then the non winch trucks. I will probably never need the winch, but who knows.

Another reason I got the winch truck up front, was because you can buy a truck with a winch on it for about a grand more up front or buy a winch later for about 1500 and install it later. I don't have the hoist to lift it so that helped me decide it also.

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If I had the funds I would have jumped for a w/w deuce. Better have it and not need it some say. But it depends on what you'll be doing with your deuce just as much. Will you ever truly need a winch that a chain/strap couldnt replace? 2cents

Akicita

Crawdaddy,
More important than the winch is the condition of the truck. If you found a truck that is in good condition you should consider buying it because you don't need a winch (as you said in your post).

When you want to pull someone out of a ditch, or a mud hole, you hook a chain, or a ropeline to the other vehicle and to your pintel hitch and give it a little tug. You don't need a winch for that. Hooking a chain or whatever you use to your hitch, or the bumper, or whatever is a lot faster and easier than to unlock your winch, pull the cable out, hooking it up, winching the object back, unhooking it, winching the cable all the way back, and locking it in. Not having a winch also means there's less maintenance work for you and a shorter truck isn't a bad thing either. I was in a mall parking lot this morning and the Deuce with winch stuck waaayyy out beyond the pick-up trucks that were in the same lot.

Attachments

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I found my Deuce and it was in very good shape mechanically and it did not have a winch, I worked on the truck for 8 months getting it just like I wanted it THEN added a winch you cost extimate is very accurate on what its going to cost you after the fact and just a not I have had the winch on my truck for 6 months now and have never found a great reason to have it, its just plain looks cooler!
Good luck but if the truck is in good shape I would not let the winch or lack of a winch stop you from buying it!
Great luck to you
KK

roscoe

A winch looks cool - but it was low on my priority list. Overall condition ,spring seat, heater, drop side, air shift, troop seats, cover among other things. Things add up pretty quick, look at everything before you decide what you want.

x-ray

Winch trucks are cool, but I've got both and found I've never needed to really use the winch. I too thought I really, really needed a winch and ended up just buying another truck with winch - for not much more than what a winch set-up cost. The winch admittedly looks cool, but probably not a "must have", unless you will likely get it into situations where you might get yourself stuck. If you find a truck without winch that is a great runner, I wouldn't let that stop me, but ultimately its up to you.

If you know this is going to be your one and only chance to own one, and you really feel you want or need a winch - I would suggest to get a truck with a winch on it already and pay the extra money. For a $1000 bucks I'd say its worth it - it will be hard to buy & ship the needed parts to add one on for less than that.

"Sometimes" the winch trucks don't go for that much more on GL - but then you have to put up with the GL process and transport it home.

Crawdaddy

I guess a winch truck really isn't an essential for me. Probably when I get one truck, I'll have the itch to get another, and then I can investigate getting a winch truck. Once I get one deuce, I would think it'll get significantly easier to get more because I'll have an understanding of what to look for in a truck, common issues, and I can get a towbar and towbar the next truck home using the first deuce. I'm still going to give it lots of thought, but I think I can live with that plan of action.

colelkhunter

Heres my scoop on winch trucks. If you want it for looks then go ahead and get a winch truck. If you want a truck with a winch and have a job for it, namely recovery or yourself or anyone else that is heavier than you, then buy a non winch truck and get a warn 18k winch for the front. MUCH, MUCH stronger than the stock PTO winches on the deuces and much safer to use as well. I am adding one to my bobber now and can tell you that they are the cat's azz. I bought mine cheap and new for 800. I have seen them on ebay for less. Most don't have a use for them as they are 24v, just right for use green steel people. Look into it and do your homework. I need a winch for recovery and want to be able to use it safely by myself. I went electric.

Flyingvan911

My observation has been that trucks with winches go for around a thousand more than trucks without winches on GL. I got my deuce without a winch because if I am that far off road, I will have another deuce with me to pull me out. And, this wo/w truck was in excellent shape. A winch also makes the deuce a little hard to steer (or so I've heard).

RAYZER

I bought a non winch deuce and don't regret it at all, I have done some off roading with other deuces with winches and it seems that non winch deuces do better in some off road situations because of the weight difference.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you want a W/W, then by all means buy a truck with a winch. However, the most important thing is to get a good mechanically sound truck. Don't rush. You will find a good W/W deuce and be happy. When I bought my deuce, a winch was a must. I ended up buying a deuce from GL and driving it 700 miles home, but it was worth it to me because it was in good condition and had a winch. There is another advantage to W/W deuces. They are much easier to sell than WO/W deuces.

goodguyzy

I've got both, steering is the same. being from the south, deuces are a dime a dozen there, get a W/W from GL for about half of what us Yankees in the west have to pay.

Crawdaddy

I've found a deuce that's closer to me, but is about $500 more than the ones I was looking at getting. I don't think I'm allowed to mention prices, but he's asking about the third of the cost of the average bobber. It's a 1970 M35A2 cargo truck with 33K miles, without a winch, soft top, the paint looks pretty good, and supposedly the company has worked on it some, though I'm not yet sure what work they've done. It has a cargo cover, but I've been told the cover needs to be worked on or replaced. It's missing its spare tire. I'm going to go check the truck out tommorow.

Now, I know what they're asking is considerably more than what I can get one from GL, but between fuel, time, and spare parts to fix the truck before driving it home, this seems like a better deal. I'm just not sure, but I'll carefully look the truck over and think hard about it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks