• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

BFG 35's weakness?

motormayhem

I have a set of 35" bfg mud-terrains on my m1009 that were on it when I bought it. They are in great shape except two of them are flat. They both have holes in the sidewall right where the tread ends. Is this a weak spot on them because my friends buggy with 32" mud terrains has a hole in the same place my two tires have them. Also is there a remedy or trick (other than stay on the road) to preventing this as it is a little expensive to keep doing.

Thanks,
Miles

maybefixit

I'm not sure if this will help; but - most tires get thinner at the sidewall , the tread is the thickest part of the tire. I think this is where the newer off-road tires are starting to come out with more of a 'wrap around' tread design.
Based on this picture BFGoodrich Mud Terrain T/A KM Reviews it looks like this tire is a fairly "square" design. Are you often running them at lower air pressure for mud/sand use? That would make the sidewall more vulnerable for the same reasons it increases flotation.

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've been running BFG's on my 4x4's for at least 25 years. I never had any problems with random sidewall punctures. As for BFG's toughness, most off road race winners run them and the top drivers in the Dakar usually run them also. Some of the Bajas we used to get had 5 ply sidewalls. If I had a sidewall puncture it was because I hit something wrong and no tire would have done any better.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I used to run those. When I had a gash in the sidewall of one, I got a patch for the inside of the tire. You grind the inside rough, apply glue, and install patch. Then I had to use a tube in that rim. It wasn't "good as new" but it kept me from buying a new tire. I ran that for just over a year and a half.

motormayhem

I used to run those. When I had a gash in the sidewall of one, I got a patch for the inside of the tire. You grind the inside rough, apply glue, and install patch. Then I had to use a tube in that rim. It wasn't "good as new" but it kept me from buying a new tire. I ran that for just over a year and a half.
I am going to see in they are patch-able tomorrow. They don't have gashes, just a small 1/4" puncture spot. They hold air if that part of the tire isn't on the ground. So when I drive down the street I get a pssht--pshht--pssht--pssht sound, but if I park it it holds air.

pevrs114

Most tire shops won't repair a sidewall puncture or gash. I've run plenty of BFG's and never had that kind of problem. They've got some pretty thick sidewalls.

What load rating are they? I have a set of 33" BFG MT's on my M1028 and they are E rated.

What gears do you have in your axles? I can't imagine 35's with 3.08's is very powerful!

motormayhem

Most tire shops won't repair a sidewall puncture or gash. I've run plenty of BFG's and never had that kind of problem. They've got some pretty thick sidewalls.

What load rating are they? I have a set of 33" BFG MT's on my M1028 and they are E rated.

What gears do you have in your axles? I can't imagine 35's with 3.08's is very powerful!
They are load rating C and yes it still has the 3.08's. It has a decent amount of power, but I am in the market for some 14 bolts with 4.10's or 3.73's.

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Go to Nevada or to Baja when they are racing there. Sometimes you can get used tires from the support units. I got a couple sets years back from one manufacturer that only had 400 miles or less on them,(The Mint 400 race). They were great tires!

Around here when I want questionable tires repaired I usually have to let them know they are for off-road/farm/construction equipment.

BFG's in my opinion have been one of the best off-road tires around, I have ran them for years low pressure, high pressure, offroad, highway...etc...Great Tires that last a long time.

My last set of BFG ATKO went 50K on my F250,

Sounds like an odd experience for you.

joeypushjr1

well BFG done away with the MT tire and replaced it with the mud terrain KM2 so findnig a replacement would be hard uness the place you get them has left overs... but all i run is BFG's and i never seen or had a side wall issue so i dont know what to tell you about the problem your having and i dont know about the whole patch thing.. doesnt sound safe....my 2cents....joe

Jakelc15

Too bad your not closer, I have 5 of them on my Jeep and don't like them. I want to go back to my Mickey Thompson Baja Claws.

maritimer

well ihave only run bfg's once on my old ford p/u, and i wouldnt run them again, they wore unevenly, onl;y lasted about 2k miles before they needed re-balancing, and on pavement they where absolute heck, i went with hercules traildiggers for my m1009 and even though its a cheaper tire it is far better built then the bfg's i find.

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
well ihave only run bfg's once on my old ford p/u, and i wouldnt run them again, they wore unevenly, onl;y lasted about 2k miles before they needed re-balancing, and on pavement they where absolute heck, i went with hercules traildiggers for my m1009 and even though its a cheaper tire it is far better built then the bfg's i find.

I never had issues of uneven tire wear with my BFG's, old or new style, on any of my GM trucks/SUV's. They would wear even until the tread was gone! My M1008 loves them!

Attachments

THEROAD

BFG's

I ran a set of BFG's on my H2. I got over 72,000 miles with perfect tread wear. They were so good I just replaced them. 72,000 miles plus on a 6300 pound H2. What tire could do better?? None!!

jimk

In Memorial
In Memorial
The problem with LT radial sidewall repair is the cords get cut. If is bigger tan a nail it will cause a bulge. The sidewall also flexes everytime the tire rotates putting stresses on the repair. I feel BF Goodrich tires are some of the best available. I have use them (A/T's) for 250K on my Ranger.

Skip

BFG's

I have BFG mud tires on my Jeep and they go through a lot. I use my Jeep for what it was intended for. They wear even and flex great. I recommend them highly.:-D

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks