• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

BFGoodrich Baja TA vs Goodyear Wrangler MT?

alpha23

Any preference on the BFGoodrich Baja TA vs Goodyear Wrangler MT for a HMMWV, primary usage offroad, and if there is a preference, why? For the Goodyear's, I', only considering the MT's as I have received feedback outside of this site that the MT/R's may have sidewall issues over time. I realize that there may be related responses in other threads but I wanted to ask before I invest $1,000+. I appreciate any experienced feedback.

Hummer Guy

Any preference on the BFGoodrich Baja TA vs Goodyear Wrangler MT for a HMMWV, primary usage offroad, and if there is a preference, why? For the Goodyear's, I', only considering the MT's as I have received feedback outside of this site that the MT/R's may have sidewall issues over time. I realize that there may be related responses in other threads but I wanted to ask before I invest $1,000+. I appreciate any experienced feedback.
I don't see what sidewall issues the MTR can possibly have, the sidewall on them is much stronger than the Wrangler MT tires and or known to be "puncture proof" which is even written on the tire.

Before I changed out to the MTR tires, I had MT's, one got punctured on the sidewall when I was heading back home on the street.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't see what sidewall issues the MTR can possibly have, the sidewall on them is much stronger than the Wrangler MT tires and or known to be "puncture proof" which is even written on the tire.

Before I changed out to the MTR tires, I had MT's, one got punctured on the sidewall when I was heading back home on the street.
sidewalls are strong, but the rubber is prone to cracking much earlier than the other brands under the same conditions.
Theyre was also a notice put out for units to replace them at 5 years from manufacture date due to sidewall related issues.

I bought a set surplus. Looked great when first mounted, but 6 months in all of them had sidewall cracking.

alpha23

I appreciate the helpful comments on the MT/Rs but is there any preference on the BFGoodrich Baja TA vs Goodyear Wrangler MT for a HMMWV, primary usage offroad, and if there is a preference, why? I'm only considering either the BFGoodrich Baja TA or the Wrangler MT.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The MT wear better/last longer, but trade off is they have less traction.
The Baja have better traction, but wear out faster.

In pretty much every category, the Baja outperform the MT hands down, except for tread life.

Hammer

I had side by side M1123s that each had new sets (2019 date codes.) MTs and Bajas.
I preferred the Bajas, even with the lower lifespan.
I do think the MTs actually rode better at interstate speeds than the Bajas did, but there are a lot of other things in play besides just the tire when it comes to speeds consistantly above 70 MPH.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks