• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

BFR's Floozy

Speedwoble

I guess it's now my turn to tackle FLU419 electrical issues.
The following have all quit working.
-Low air warning light
-Oil Pressure gauge
-Water Temp gauge
-Tachometer

Is there a common ground for the instruments? I have pulled the air intake tubing and pulled the fuse panels forward and cannot find any damage to the wiring behind the dash.

The. for what its worth, the following all do work.
-Turn signals
-Turn signal indicator light
-Alternator warning light
-high and low beam headlights
-High beam indicator light
-windshield wipers
Have you downloaded the electrical schematic yet?

The black wire under the dash has caused this problem before. Examine the black wire for damage or corrosion. I’m 95% sure the black wire will be the problem.

eisenhart

Hi76E50ABF-A2CA-438F-AC8C-D128A1C7FC5D.jpeg, I'm in Asheville NC, and just picked up my own SEE, looks like a few of you aren't too far away in the north GA area?
A few months ago, I met up with some fellow Gwagen enthusiasts in the Helen, GA area for some camping and forest service road exploring. Cheers neighbors!🍻

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi, I'm in Asheville NC, and just picked up my own SEE, looks like a few of you aren't too far away in the north GA area?
A few months ago, I met up with some fellow Gwagen enthusiasts in the Helen, GA area for some camping and forest service road exploring. Cheers neighbors!🍻
I'm about 23 miles north of Helen, just off US 76 and about 15 miles east of Hiawassee. You are correct, we are neighbors. If you are ever in this area, give me a shout and we can talk about FLU419s. Yours looks to be in good condition from your photo. Does it run well? Complete? Did you get the hydraulic tools with yours?

Attachments

eisenhart

I'm about 23 miles north of Helen, just off US 76 and about 15 miles east of Hiawassee. You are correct, we are neighbors. If you are ever in this area, give me a shout and we can talk about FLU419s. Yours looks to be in good condition from your photo. Does it run well? Complete? Did you get the hydraulic tools with yours?
Oh hell yea, right on! so maybe you are familiar with the forest service/dirt roads around there? Someone mentioned one time there is a dirt road route you can meander up to the Asheville vicinity from your area. Warwoman rd maybe? I can't recall exactly, but it would be fun to explore that route sometime in my Gwagen.

My FLU needs some TLC and lubrication maintenance badly, it's been sitting for a number of years down in South Carolina. I spent a number of weeks getting all the paperwork needed to title and register it in North Carolina. I think I’m going to start my own thread on the whole process.

The rig does run great though, so I really can't complain, and it plowed the 10" of snow on our 200yard private road last week.
No hydraulic tools included :( None of dash instruments are active, except for the charging light and ammeter. It shifts gears great and transfer case works well too. The 4x4 actuator has some air leak I think, I had to wedge the 4x4 lever with a piece of wood to keep it in 4x4. I think I will eventually rig up air valve switches to control the lockers individually, so 3 separate air switches1. rear locker 2. front locker 3. 4x4 engagement. Maybe using a switch like this: https://powertank.com/products/pro-series-pneumatic-air-toggle-switch-power-tank
The back hoe hydraulic cylinders all need repacked. I recently bought this seal kit on ebay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/152411113479
Also bought some gland nut wrenches: https://www.ebay.com/itm/393174091759
and seal installer tool kit:
Probably will tackle all that closer to the spring time.
I also bought this high lift trailer jack. I'm going to fabricate a bracket so I can easily lift off the front loader

oh and it will need new tires in the near future. I don’t trust tires this old! Pretty sure they are the originals. Especially if I plan to drive it on the public roads. Might budget out some MPT 80 or 81s. And get some pewag or rud brand forestry chains for maximum grip. We’ll see! I knew this rig was going to cost lots of money to get dialed in! I’d rather spend the money on the FLU419 than just a regular farm tractor…

5C090CCC-2297-4987-B637-2ECBB81A012D.jpeg

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The first thing to do for your instruments is to remove all fuses and clean the connectors. I used a dremel tool with a brass wire wheel to clean the contacts. I replaced 100% of my fuses with new fuses from EI. When I installed the new fuses, I coated with dielectric grease. All problems disappeared. Unfortunately, FLU419s are very attractive to mice. Hopefully, mice haven't invaded your wiring. I was lucky in that respect but I know several people with FLU419s that had significant mouse damage to the wiring. The other issue about wiring is that Mercedes used all black wiring for everything so it is very difficult to trace wires and circuits. It is likely that your 4X4 selector just needs a good cleaning as it is a very simple apparatus. EI has just about any parts you might need. The best thing is to work on one item at a time instead of using the shotgun approach like I did.

eisenhart

thanks, this is great advice! It's easy to overwhelmed. I usually make a list and focus on each thing and move on to the next. When I inspected the truck before buying it, I removed the hood and I didn't see any chewed wires or evidence of rat nests inside the cab or anything like that, thank goodness. And that would have been a deal breaker for me. I think you're right about the fuses and the fuse holder connections. All of my other european vehicle use the same pill style fuses, so I have plenty on hand to replace. I got lots of di electric grease too, works great for keeping the grounds clean too.

Last edited:

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
thanks, this is great advice! It's easy to overwhelmed. I usually make a list and focus on each thing and move on to the next. When I inspected the truck before buying it, I removed the hood and I didn't see any chewed wires or evidence of rat nests inside the cab or anything like that, thank goodness. And that would have been a deal breaker for me. I think you're right about the fuses and the fuse holder connections. All of my other european vehicle use the same pill style fuses, so I have plenty on hand to replace. I got lots of di electric grease too, works great for keeping the grounds clean too.
The mice tend to get up behind the dash and nest and chew wires where it is difficult to see. Hopefully, you don't have that problem. In case you don't have a copy, I have attached a copy of the wiring schematic for the FLU419. I printed out a C-size copy and had it laminated.

Attachments

eisenhart

The mice tend to get up behind the dash and nest and chew wires where it is difficult to see. Hopefully, you don't have that problem. In case you don't have a copy, I have attached a copy of the wiring schematic for the FLU419. I printed out a C-size copy and had it laminated.
oh damn, you got me paranoid as all hell now, that I might have missed chewed wires....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks