• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bidders Beware: GL is draining all fluids on trucks

mdcarriers

I just picked up two 5 ton road tractors at Fort Gordon, GA and all fluids had been drained and batteries removed from both trucks. It cost my customers $150 each for a wrecker to hoist them on my trailer. These trucks were sold in running condition. This facility offers no loading assistance either. I was also told that Warner Robins is doing the same thing. You may want to check with property manager before you bid so you know what to expect. I hauled over 50 military trucks in the past year and never had this problem. If you have any questions, please PM me or call me. Thanks, Mike Hatfield, MD Carriers, Inc. 423-432-9493

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Who is "they"?

greenjeepster

So, the shipper is supposed to drain them, before hauling them to the bases?
I don't know who is supposed to do the draining, but I remember reading somewhere on the terms and conditions that they drain the fluids out of mechanical equipment.

Prior to buying my deuces I have never received anything wit any fluid in it. I have bought water pumps, generators, hydraulic pumps...all have been drained.

Easy way to find out for sure would be to ask them.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ask who? They?

Too bad the military didn't use Westfolks coolant heater, it is easy to unscrew from the waterpump(to drain it).

Terms and conditions of what?

Last edited:

FrankUSMC

Ok, I am "they"...
When we turn any thing into DRMO, it has to be drained of all fluids. I have seen some beautiful equipment, turned into scrap after some guys I work with are done draining all the fluids. I have seen lines cut, holding tanks have holes punched into them, every drop of oil has to be cleaned out.
Do not blame GL for this, it is a DRMO policy (read "EPA")
One of the few, Frank USMC RET

scrapman

Possibly by draining all fluids and removal of the batteries relieves GL & the Gov't from all liabilities in case of damage or injuries caused by operation of the vehicle on the public roads. You will have accepted the property in a disabled condition. This is better for us instead of having frames cut in half or some other form of mutilation. I along with many others on here have been guilty of bid & buy, pick up & drive.:driver:

FrankUSMC

Scrapman
Good answer, but no, it is to keep the equipment from leaking oil onto the ground while it is at DRMO for 3 months till it is sold. Some places will let you put drain pans under the equipment, as long as it does not fill up with water. We have been called back to DRMO to pick up an item that we thought was completely drained and oil started to leak out of it. Some times we can just wipe the equipment down, some times we have to have it trucked back to us, and completely washed down again.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET

KsM715

1. If its a govt. rule to drain all fluids then why is this happening at only a few sites and not all of them.

2. Why are they being listed as "starts and runs" if all the fluids are drained prior to GL getting this equipment?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks