• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bidding on a truck that won't start even with a jump.

chandler

Would you risk it? Has anyone had a truck that wouldn't start have a catastrophic problem that made the investment bad? I've seen a few trucks that have that listed as won't start and curious if there is simple tricks and troubleshooting that will bring them back to life. I have a spot near the auction site that I can move them to for repair but prefer not to incur a huge expense to fix.

Some of these trucks seem to be in good shape and so I think the "not start" feature will help me get a deal on price.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just don't bid more than your willing to lose. Some trucks may need batteries others may have a hole in the block . The only way to even get a idea is to preview in person . Auctions are a crap shoot.

Bobfj40

Mine said would not start, and on preview it was out of fuel. I was guessing that was the problem and I was right. Preview the truck and you might figure it out.

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Auction vehicles are BUYER BEWARE period . A few months ago there were auction pictures of a MV described as "would not start with a jump" and in one picture of the engine was a nice HOLE in the block were the rod let go ! You really need to either check out the MV in person or have someone on this site maybe check it out BEFORE you bid ! otherwise it is just worth the price of scrap IMHO . I don't care how good the pictures look , if in fact they are of YOUR MV ! which is another issue . Do not be in a RUSH to buy a MV , buy the RIGHT MV , you will thank yourself later . good luck , bob k

Tornadogt

I bid at Scrap or Parts value if there is any doubt on the trucks condition (Make sure you include any fees, taxes and recovery charges for a non-running truck).. If someone else previewed it and knows something you don't they will probably outbid you, but at least you don't put yourself in a hole you can't dig yourself out of..

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Unless you look at the truck you will never know for sure. If it is a gl truck, they are not always known for the best video or pictures.

CsmDavis has a truck in his yard that came from GL Camp Shelby with a hole on one side of the block clear across to the other side with a matching exit hole. I would bet some bit coins :) that the pictures and video did not show the damage "won't start" if I was a gambling man.

Now Gov Planet seems to be much better at pics and clear thorough descriptions for the most part.

R Racing

I have had 2 that had bad batteries that trying to jump with 3 trucks was a no go . So I always carry at least 2 good batteries for a recovery . Been luck thus far.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Would you risk it? Has anyone had a truck that wouldn't start have a catastrophic problem that made the investment bad? I've seen a few trucks that have that listed as won't start and curious if there is simple tricks and troubleshooting that will bring them back to life. I have a spot near the auction site that I can move them to for repair but prefer not to incur a huge expense to fix.

Some of these trucks seem to be in good shape and so I think the "not start" feature will help me get a deal on price.
Here's a great story:

Have a friend who bought a deuce from GL. Wouldn't start, checked the plunger in the IP, it was stuck, hit the button and fired right off.

And that's when I heard the god awful sound, like a dozen claw hammers in a dryer. Sounded a lot like a CUCV.

Shattered cylinder liner in #4. We put a crate engine in it because this one was done.

I'm just sayin'.

I realize no one wants to hear this, but unless you previewed it and heard it run............................ you should be bidding as if it's scrap or a parts truck.

quickfarms

Preview, preview, preview or buy cheap.

The auction that my truck came out of had six trucks. The preview determined three were worth bidding on. The other trucks had issues. One had a rusty can that had been poorly patched up. One had a bad transmission, the rear cover was held on by a couple of bolts and trans parts were found in the truck and tool box. The last truck had a bad engine, parts were found in the truck and upon close inspection the engine had been dismantled and put back together with out all of the bolts of gaskets.

I did by another truck for parts and paid scrap prices for it

Jeepsinker

Most 5 tons that won't start with a jump just need the fuel system bled and they fire right up. I've only had one so far that I couldn't start and it had melted pistons in it. And I've probably recovered close to 100 trucks last year and one today. The one today was a " no start with jump, no brakes" I bled the fuel system and fired it up, replaced some air fittings that were robbed from the air dryer and it had air and brakes. Sometimes mechanics just don't want to deal with these trucks so they deadline them with lies. Grease pencil some made up issues on the door and send it to auction.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you visit the auction results thread, you will quickly conclude that LOTS of bidders are assuming the truck will run based on the bids being much higher than scrap value. My GL reps tell me previews are few and far between.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you visit the auction results thread, you will quickly conclude that LOTS of bidders are assuming the truck will run based on the bids being much higher than scrap value. My GL reps tell me previews are few and far between.
And another auction site starts their minimum bids higher than scrap value on most trucks.

Piper Cub

Mine was listed as no start, but the video showed it appearing to move under it's own power. I bid knowing that the GL site was 5 minutes from my trucker, and surrounded by truck shops. I figured that if it was junk, I should be able to find a someone who would give at least what I paid and I would only be out a few hundred for the lowboy and a hundred for the diesel to drive out to GL. Got there and they had it in the dead line next to trucks missing doors and tires - uh oh. Turned out that they ran it out of fuel making the video and pushed it into the line with the batteries still on. The rest of it was certainly used but was still in pretty good shape. We put some fuel in, slaved it off of another truck and loaded on the trailer. Left it running to charge the batteries(which are still going strong 1 1/2 years later) on the ride home and so we knew we'd be able to unload and park it. I don't think everyone gets that lucky on non runners, but if you have a decent plan and get it cheap enough it'll probably work out ok.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
What's scrap price for a 5 ton? Meaning I drop it off to a scrap dealer and get paid off and made whole. Thanks if you know.
Scrap price is dependent on the scrap price on any given day. At ten dollars a hundred a 15,000 pound truck is worth 1500 bucks unless you have a good relationship with your scrapper. Deuces and 5 tons are made of good melting steel and sometimes they will bump you up a few cents a pound if the frame is stripped. I scrapped out a M927 a while back and after I had stripped the axles, transmission, all the good parts off the cab and some other misc stuff I got almost a thousand for the carcass. Most scrap yards prefer that you take the tires off (if they are maypops) and some will ding you if you don't since they have to pay to get rid of them.

In all my dealings with GL I have only bought one truck from GL with a bad engine and that was a self-inflicted wound, I didn't preview and I knew it came from a site that rebuilt trucks. That started my "Green Iron Money Pit" saga.

Bottom line is, unless you preview, ya pays your money and takes your chances.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I picked up a beautiful m931a1 two years ago for a guy. 9.8 miles and less than an hour on the truck. Everything was new. Listed as wouldn't start. Got there to pick it up, driveshafts disconnected. Big sirens and flashing warning lights go off in my head all the way home towing it. Get home, charge batteries, hit switch, CLUNK. Motor was locked up melted pistons.

Personally if I can't preview or get someone to, I only will bid scrap or what I know I can sell half the parts for.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
It's a total crapshoot without inspecting.

I bought a M931 listed as "does not run". Turns out, it was only listed that was because the person in charge of the yard hadn't had a chance to list the details so he marked it as "does not run".

Bid only scrap or parts value and you'll be ok. IF you have a plan to recover a non-runner and take into consideration that cost.