• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bidding on Surplus Engines

SpecWarSquid

I guess this thread is for those who have successfully recovered engines from government auction. And before anyone starts, I understand that everything is on me to check it out and "Buyer Beware"

I'm interested in bidding on a surplus 6.2 and I see lots of them listed. My question is what kind of condition are these used 6.2s generally in? Most CUCVs I see have relatively low miles. So is it most likely that these engines suffered some kind of catastrophic failures that required them to be replaced?

Just trying to minimize the chance of buying a engine with a bad block or rotating assembly.

Thanks

ida34

The take out engines you see are Humvee engines. One I have was replaced because of a stripped bolt hole. I think at one point they were looking for reasons to replace them with the 6.5 NA engines.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are there a lot of them coming out of the location you are looking? If there is a large number coming out at once, they are probably from 6.5 repowers and may be good to go. If the location has just one or two, it may have been changed for a problem within.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ones that came out of Ft. Jackson a few months ago were the test engines that the students had to 'fix' to pass the wheeled vehicle mechanics course. They had no miles and only a few hours run time on them. There might have been some improperly torqued bolts, but it did run for a minute or so.

Kenny is right, if there are a bunch in one place, it's probably a re-power upgrade that has taken place.

SpecWarSquid

Thanks for the good Intel. These are good points to consider. I'll have to see if i can get some feedback from the site manager.

A question regarding the 6.2. Been doing some reading, in your opinions, has the 6.2's main web cracking issue been that common place? Or is just something that has happened a handful of times in civilian motors and has gotten a lot of print about it?

Thanks

Xs10tial

I am currently waiting on EUC approval for 4 engines I bought out of mechanicsburgh a couple months ago. As the motors ended up costing me about $100 a piece, I'm not too worried about the condition. If I have to rebuild, I figure I still got off cheap. Interesting point about the humvee re-powers. That gives me a certain optimism.....

Wolf.Dose

Humvee engines are usually run always around max rpm. The soldiers used them like gas engines and normally did not understand that they use a Diesel.
So if you buy a take out engine you do not know what you get. If you by an engine in the box it is a stock engine and therefore considered to be new. However, the conservation stuff will take a good while until it is cooked out of the engine and therefor need many coolant changes.
Wolf
P.S. I have such an out of tghe box new engine in my Kaiser Jeep M715 and after 460 engine hours the stuff is not jet completely cooked out.