• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Big 2 Cycle Generator?

Chainbreaker

Well its been a little slow on the SS website in the generator forum during the holidays so I thought I would post this as a curiosity item. While I was cruising around Craigslist Portland, OR I did a search for "Military Generator" and an ad popped up for 2 very large generators for use on some sort of military boat I presume.

Interestingly, the engine is listed as a "2 Cycle 1800 RPM" & produce 225/450V 3 Phase & weigh 3,000 lbs each & individually identified as Port & Starboard. I think I'm gonna need a bigger boat before I could ever utilize these big boys:

Note: I'm only posting copies of reference photo's, not a link to the ad so as not to be in violation of SS rules.

Big 2 cycle generator 1.jpg Big 2 cycle generator 2.jpg
Big 2 cycle generator 3.jpg

Last edited:

Guyfang

Staff member
Got a lot of time in on that type engine. Looks like the front one burnt up the main gen. Its dark on the bottom. Or oil?

If they are marked port and starboard, the probably turn in different directions.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gotta love those 2 stroke detroits. My college diesel shop uses them as the first engine all the students tear apart and rebuild, they have engines 50+ years old that still run like a top.

Chainbreaker

...If they are marked port and starboard, the probably turn in different directions.
I thought it may have to do with identifying these sets location from a service standpoint being its on a watercraft of some sort. Typically sailors don't reference positions left or right when referring to objects shipboard like an engine.

Was wondering if perhaps these might be used for one of those large hovercraft...generators for supplying electric driven motors for air propulsion/maneuvering? Shouldn't a NSN "used on code" identify the type of craft(s) they were used on?

Guyfang

Staff member
I thought it may have to do with identifying these sets location from a service standpoint being its on a watercraft of some sort. Typically sailors don't reference positions left or right when referring to objects shipboard like an engine.

Was wondering if perhaps these might be used for one of those large hovercraft...generators for supplying electric driven motors for air propulsion/maneuvering? Shouldn't a NSN "used on code" identify the type of craft(s) they were used on?

UOC code tells you what model the NSN can be used on. For instance, on the 60 KW. There is a MEP-115A, (400 hertz). There is a MEP-105A, ( 50\60 hertz precise power, read that as electric governor). And last but not least, the MEP-006A, (50/60 hertz utility, read that as non electric govenor). There are two different static Excitors.

If these two gen sets have the same NSN's, they are for power production, and not counter revolving. Only propulsion sets would be counter revolving. After a second look, I think these sets are indeed just for power.

Wonderful engines!

Guyfang

Staff member
It wouldn't. My first post was made without thinking. I saw two gen sets. Even commented on one looking like it got hot or had oil on the bottom of the main gen, (maybe leaky rear main) and then assumed, and that always gets me a shot in the butt, but assumed they were marine Drive engines.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
As a former Navy Snipe, Port and starboard refer to the position in the engine room, also as which one is run, port on odd days starboard on even days so they get equal hours. Another fun fact P&S can also apply to when you have duty days in port (harbor) meaning 24hr on 24 off vs 3 section, which is 24 on 48hr off. At sea it is watch in 8hr increments and P&S duty sucks bad, luckily most of the time was 3 section.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks