• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Big dude Fit in a m35?

prebanbilly

HI all i was wondering if anybody had any idea how to get more space behind the wheel of a m35a2? I happened to come across a fellow member in palmetto named Pete(sorry cant remember his user name:oops:)and got a chance to look at one of his m35a2's he was selling. got in but my big gut rubbed on the wheel .I'm not skinny yet but im on a diet!:) is there any way to maybe to get more space in there like a smaller wheel ? i don't have a m35 yet but soon i will but if i cant fit in it that would suck!
p.s i do have a jeep yj and can fit in that!

m109guy

Don't worry, you are not the only one. Army trucks never seem to have been made to fit big people in it. I am 6'1" and have a hell of a time driving my M37 as well as my knees are always in the steering wheel. My stomach is about 1" from the steering wheel when driving my M35/M109 and I don't even have a beer belly. They were never made for big people, but there are some things you can do about it.

You can change the steering wheel to a smaller one. But unless you also install power steering, you might have a hard time driving the truck as it can be hard enough driving in some places with the steering wheel at its stock size. Doing a 90 degree turn from a full stop can really be a pain with no power steering, but at least you won't have to go work out at the gym later on ;)

You could also try changing the seat. Some people say they have found seats that give you some more room between your belly and the steering wheel. Or you could just get a thinner back cushion which might help give you enough room. I wouldn't recommend lowering the seat though, as in a collision you could get the steering wheel in the ribs, rather than hitting the softer belly area.

Other than that I can't see too much else you can do to give you more room. The truck simply wasn't designed for it.

LanceRobson

A smaller steering wheel is really going to increase the force needed for low speed steering and parking. It would also tend to increase the chance or getting hurt by the steering wheel. Particularly at low speeds, the steering wheel tends to want to jerk violently if you hit a curb, deep hole or large rock with just one front tire. That, over the years, led to a lot of finger and wrist injuries, even with the full size steering wheel, if the operator doesn't keep a firm grip on the wheel or, alternatively, drive with palm pressure and light finger pressure on the rim of the wheel and keep the fingers out of harm's way. This reaction is particularly aggressive if you hit the obstruction with the outside edge of the tire tread or sidewall.

You don't mention whether the truck had a spring seat base or earlier style box seat base. The box seat base and cushion tend to sit lower and further to the rear than the spring seat and give a little more clearance.

Also, with the box seat, you can remove the rear cushion. My M35A2C didn't have a rear cushion when I got it and I really like the extra leg and arm room. I've never missed it, even cross country or on long trips.

BTW, I'm 6"4" and 235.

Lance

prebanbilly

hey guys thanks for the input. the truck i looked at had a spring seat in it . I'm almost 6ft tall but
weight in at 350lbs . i had put a smaller wheel in my yj jeep but i gonna use the idea of fitting behind the wheel as a weight loss goal!

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My first Deuce trip was 350 miles and with my big gut I just called it "Fat Dampened Steering". My gut allowed me to drive down the road with ease since it reduced the shock going to my hands and arms.

At 350 you must be a little guy.

;-)

mightyhammer

HOLY COW! Must be a genetic flaw in MV enthusiasm. I thought I was the only big fat arse around at 6'4" 315lbs. Aparently big dudes like Military Iron....what is it? :p
OK, my input. I drove my M35 from South Berwick Maine home here to Lewiston, Idaho about 1.5 yrs ago. It had the spring seat and yes it was tight. I did remove the back cushion and fabbed a thinner one and it helped. After a while you settle in and you get a nice groove in your belly. All in all though, not a bad experience. Course if you have done trunk ops from a sub you might consider an M35 quite roomy! LOL

dc3coyote

I am in Fl and have both type of seats, so your welcome to come and test for fit. oh and i am 5'7" 175lbs, and think the trucks are a little small.

madsam

I have a m816, and the same thing. It is tight for me too. I think most 19year olds are skinnier than me..:roll: I have thought if you can slide the column down a little, but not looked at it. I like my air spring seat.

Green_gator

It seems that there are a number of us who want more room behind the wheel. This has me wondering if I could swap the positions of the spring ride seat and bench seat in my deuce? That would create the extra room with out having to purchase a box seat.

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
could someone measure the distance from the bottom of the wheel to the seat in its furthest back position? Box & Springer would be nice to know...

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
John Tennis has been known to shorten the steering column on deuces. Not an easy task but necessary for some folks.

M37Dodge

M37 (maybe M35 too if it uses springs on the seat bottom) - Changing the bottom seat to a board with padding covered by canvas will get you some more legroom and let you look out the windshield without stooping over. As I am 6'3" - I highly recommend it:)

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
the thin-backed simple box seat is best for clearance issues. The back cusion (such as it is) compresses to almost nothing behind your back. I think it's only there to prevent contact with metal. I don't know what sizes of wheel fit a deuce, but going 1-2" smaller wouldn't hurt. Anyone know what kinds and diameters of military steering wheels fit a deuce?

davidkroberts

yeah i know what you mean..... and im a little guy. With my kit on at work i can barely drive our hummvees. Even my Gama Goat and Mercedes Unimog seem to be designed with a smaller framed person in mind.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks