• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Big Push of CUCV's now very few ...

Billett

It seems like there was a lot of these CUCV's put out to market by the government recently and now I see the supplies really dwindling through the auctions and so on. Anybody notice the same thing ? Do you think these might become harder to get by years end ?

CUCV85

theres thousands left
but a lot are being sold so take your pick,
might be a good Idea if you can afford it to make sure you get one!

HAWKMAN

They could go the way of the duece....I haven't seen but a tiny handful of them (dueces) on GL in this area in quite a
while.....only made so many, so CUCV's could go the same way...my2cents

Billett

Im here in AZ and I go with my buddy to the dealer auctions and you used to see so many go through and now theres almost none. So then I went on Government Liquidators to watch these last few auctions and they seem to be very few as well and most that are left look pretty beat up too. I was hoping to get a decent one near the end of the year but I guess Im going to get one in the next week or two. I think over time you wont see too many of these and will be more rare than they are right now.

AJMBLAZER

The CUCV is definitely in the twilight of it's life. However base use in Iraq and Afghanistan has increased their usefullness again. So the military that 10-15 years ago was selling off perfectly good ones deemed "surplus to requirements" is now holding on to every single good one they have and only getting rid of the ones with trouble or too much work to fix.

hobie237

Yes, eventually there won't be any more CUCVs coming out. So what? There are plenty in circulation already. The example of the Deuce is a good one, sure there are less coming out, but it's not exactly difficult to find one and they're not exactly million dollar vehicles.

stampy

:ditto: You won't find the "perfect" CUCV with under 10,000 miles and fresh paint on GL for sure but as I am sure many others here will say, it's not about the destination...it's about the journey. The reason so many here LOVE these old war horses is due to its toughness and the fact that many here have spent HUGE amounts of time working on, updating, and generally making an exceptional 80's vehicle even more capable through our talent and connections here on Steel Soldiers. I don't expect that the military will be retiring their entire fleet anytime soon especially with a reduced budget coming down the pipe so who knows...I do know there are plenty out there, including civy models to pick from.

Sajer

Well that could be that they only have enough for 18 more months.....or there will be another large batch released in that time.

Im praying the later.

saddamsnightmare

February 7th, 2010.

If Carnac is saying 18 months...... I suspect that is going to be the likely end use date for the CUCV in Uncle's service, and my bet is that any in Iraq will not be sent home for disposition. Just a guess, but the CUCV is getting like the M880's were in the 1990's...

Cheers,

Kyle F. McGrogan:grin:

gwag

I agree with you Billet there not at the auction like they used to be & I have to wonder how many are left. It seems like they have gone up in price on GL also.

TyJustice

I have had multiple offers for mine in the last two months and that’s just from guys stopping by the house as I'm outside, asking questions and wanting to know where to get them.

I just tell them to look in the auto trader. :cool:

From my stand point and from my part of the country, there seems to be a lot of guys interested in the cucv's right now.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
There are a bunch up and coming up. Might want to have one at the end of the next 18 months. Plenty of time, no need to panick, nothing to see here, keep moving, nothing to see here, move along, keep moving, nothing to see here (lol remember that from some stupid comedy movie that I can't remember the name of)....but nothing to be concerned about.

TyJustice

)....but nothing to be concerned about.

Atleast I can sleep easy tonight...[thumbzup]Thank you CARNAC for all you do here.

Billett

We will see what the next 18 months brings but I honestly think that most of the clean ones went through already and now the second phase is the rough non starting missing parts stuff mixed in with just a few decent ones here and there. At the GSA auctions here they were plentiful 3 or 4 months back and now its literally dried up to nothing.

lilymonster

Yes, it is winding down...

Jeff here. Huge fan of CUCV's and just getting into the steel soldiers site. Like it a lot so far. Anyway, yes the large push of CUCV's being released seems to be winding down. For those of you who may not be aware, the reason the last 12 months or so has been such a large push is mainly because of the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (ARRA), which was part of the "stimulus pacakge". The way it worked is the gov't needs money so they combed through all sorts of gov't agencies, including the military, looking for under-utilized assets that could be sold to raise capital. For example, a huge number of vehicles were sold from the federal prison system also, which included late 1990's Ford/Chevy pick-ups, P71 Crown Vics, and even some buses. I guess they weren't using them anymore or the stuff had been made obsolete by better/newer equipment or procedures.

Now, as far as increased need for CUCV's due to base use in Afghanistan and Iraq, that also could be true. But I'm not sure. Here's what I know...I have some contacts at GSA Arlington that I spoke with on the phone the other day. They said that a bunch of CUCV's that were at bases on the east coast that were tagged for liquidation had been pulled from the program b/c they now need them. Now he did not specify if they are being used stateside or if they are going abroad... I tend to think they are almost exclusively used here, but I'm not sure. Anyone know if they are currently using these in Iraq or Af?

Of course one day there will be no more CUCV's at all in use in the military and o naturally every last one of them will be sold or junked. So that being said, there HAS to be more made available at some point. It is safe to assume that from here out, they will most likely be in lower quantities and in rougher shape because the majority "surplus" units have been sold. But who knows for sure. If I learn anything more post about it here.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Maybe for the prison system but for the military it's actually just a routine force modernization program. Just like the M35 trucks. I think the issue was we were having problems keeping 'grand dads ole duece and a half' on the road. The reached the end of their programed life.

For the CUCV, Desert Storm put the death nail on it. Their loaded cross country capabilities were not up to the requirement. The troops found they couldn't load their 4 duffle bags of goodies per person and the color TV and the kitchen sink on them without them sinking in the sand. The CUCV program decision was made as a result, and immediately after, Desert Storm. The mass turn ins began well before the current guy in ofice even started campaigning.

As for usage, the CUCV was considered a more roadworthy vehicle than the HMMWV. It is quieter, easier to drive, more comfortable, faster, and cheaper to keep on the road. We used the crap out of them and our HMMWV sat in motorpools. Would I prefer one in combat, probably not. Stateside, yes.

As for condition, it's hit or miss. Keep in mind that most of the vehicles you see now, sat somewhere longer than usual due to our 'economic stimulus' not providing the military a budget to move them from one place to another. That meant more time to canabalize to keep the rest of the heard rolling. Units really don't want to give them up. The military was suppose to have them gone by Oct 2009 but they're still around. So anticipate by Oct 2010 now and another 6 months for all of them to clear DRMO and GL. You will still have GSA vehicles but they tend to be trash. And there are still some REALLY, REALLY, REALLY nice ones out there.

Oh, and btw, did I say, there's nothing to see here, keep moving, nothing to see, no need to panick, .....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks