• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Big ugly truck

pnishr

Hey all. I really just wanted to pop in here because I'm excited about my latest auction win: 2 lots, for a total of 10 HMMWV tires/wheels/inserts... for a combined total of $210. For now, I will just be using the 2" thick adapters to run them on my 10-bolts. Eventually I'll do an axle swap, but not in the budget for time or money right now. Also a couple can go on my M101 trailer that has the M1031 box on it.

I know, I know... "why don't you just use aftermarket 16.5s with the right backspacing and 6-lug??!!?!?!?"

Because that's not what I wanted, that's why. I want the run-flats. The truck is my toy, is barely driven, and is being prepared for the inevitable... nay... impending zombie apocalypse.

I've already swapped in 4.10s and and turned up the pump. With an EGT gauge to watch temps, of course.

I've put on a trans-go kit and a transmission cooler to boot.

My other mods include: conversion to dual 12v, manual GP switch, Headlight relay conversion, PIAA lights, 2500watt inverter off the second batter bank (total of 4 Optima yellow tops), 2x10 bed cover/divider boards for bunks in the back, and two 5gallon water jugs mounted in jerrycan mounts inside

Here are a couple of pics. 33x10.5s on it for now.

truck.jpgIMG_0012.JPG

My next project(s) are an electric fan setup (which is taking forever because I suck at welding and am trying to make an easily-removed mounting bracket), a center console, and a snorkel ("cold air" although in texas, it's just "less hot air"). I've already got a 6.2l intake "hat" from a marine diesel.

That's all I've got to show for now. Really just excited about cutting fenders and cramming 37s under it. (and an eventual lift and axles).

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If an axle swap isn't in the budget, is a replacement 10 bolt? The rear may suffer. Here is what I would do. Since you already have 4.10 gears, shop for a suburban 14 bolt. They are usually less that $200 and bolt right in. As long as the gears match the front, its no big deal. Just a thought and what I've done in the past.

pnishr

Yeah, I've shopped the junkyards (but not since last year) and Craigslist to no avail (also to take 52" springs with it for the eventual b52 lift). If I can find one, I'll grab it. I don't really drive it hard for now, but I know the axle won't like the 37s. But hey, if I snap a shaft, then I "have to" upgrade to 14bolt, right? ;-) Thanks for the input. I'll keep my eye out.

Last edited:

Ilikemtb999

That poor rear axle. I think a 14 bolt and just moving the pads is well worth it. Get a conversion u joint and drive without worry. The front can be swapped to 8 lug. Shouldn't be all that much.

good looking 09, what's the deal with the rear wood?

pnishr

I just cut and drilled them to mount on the inside of the topper. Just to some concealment to my tools and camping gear, and provide a 6' platform to lay on. They can also be used to divide the rear area behind the back seat from the rest.

richingalveston

WIN_20160129_17_20_01_Pro.jpg20150704_200600.jpg20150704_200552[1].jpg
I have posted on here somewhere on how to cut and re-attach the front fenders that should give you the clearance needed and still look factory. search my threads

here are some pics. when cut this way it flares the fender about 1.5 inches also. I have not finished the body work on mine, they are still held in place by 2 screws. I am trying to finish the turbo add then I will get back to it.

pnishr

Thanks, y'all. Yeah, Richingalvaston, I saw your posts during my research to make sure it was even feasible. Thanks again to everybody for the advice!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks