• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Big Z's Deuce Recovery

Big Z

So, I got my deuce from Ft. Riley Kansas today. It went quite smooth. We took off around 7pm mtn time yesterday and got within an hour of our destination at about 0430 central, taking turns driving. A few hours of napping and off we went. We had to only show ID to get in. I showed up early for my appointment at GL and got signed in. We unloaded my explorer in the parking lot and took the truck over to the deuce. Essentially the explorer was a worthless paperweight for this recovery, but it was there, and packed with tools just in case. A GL worker grabbed his dozer; we chained up, and he pulled my truck up the trailer's ramps whilst I steered and my partner guided. We chained 'er down in 6 locations, progressively tightening the boomers, and then taped them shut. I taped the exhaust shut, and off we went to finish loading the explorer and head out. Got back about 4 hours ago, and scooted to get the ex offloaded and head to move cows and relax. I didn't take many notes on the truck's features, as I simply did not have to work on it to get it home in a hurry. That is the plus of the mighty dropdeck. I have a full tank of fuel with it, working batteries, missing gauges, seized handbrake cable, no brake pressure; engine did not crank when switch was actuated...all that good stuff. May get a chance to work on it tomorrow. Anyways, it's good to be home.

Attachments

SMOKEWAGON66

Nice looking 379....i wished i had access to one of them when i was rec'erin my deuce lol. Although that woulda been a might tough to get in my driveway.

spartan_185

Congratulations on the new truck. The lack of brake pressure could be as simple as lack of fluid, or it could be a number of other problems such as air pack/master cylinder going bad. When you get it running be sure to go through the entire brake system. My deuce had the same problem when I picked it up, and after rebuilding the entire system, I now see why everyone stresses about the brakes on these things. The condition of the brake components was scary!

Big Z

Thanks,
I plan to go through everything before it is put into service. I am so far satisfied with its condition. Fluids are full, it's fully greased, rust isn't bad; paint's flaking in a variety of locations, but I had expected that. Hopefully a few days of tinkering will have it running. I gotta make a tow bar to get it the last 5 miles home.

The 379 is a detroit 60/10spd. I don't care for the combination, but I've been spoiled with a 550 cat and 18spd lately.

91W350

I saw you guys pulling out as I was pulling in. Do you remember the M35A2 W/W? All green... Anyway, I hope you got one of the Kansas Guard trucks that had the new engines in them. The cluster wires were rudely butchered. Did you look around the truck for the instruments? I found one set under an old style box seat and another set tossed in the running board tool box on the driver's side. The truck I was driving did not have a cluster, mine is out of a M820 with the oil gauge out of my old M715 that I did a 12 volt and Chevy conversion on. They have been really good trucks as a whole. We got five and I just got back from helping load another pair out of that batch. Score!!! Your Pete is Sweet!! Glen

Big Z

Well I do remember seeing a truck roll by with a load of big tires in the back, was that you? I thought to myself, "That lucky sumbeech is about to get real." :p

91W350

That was me, if I would have only known where you were headed, I could have used the SS Express to get those tires to Nebraska. They belong to Reb87 north of York. I also have some bolster trailer parts and tires in there for him. Glen

Big Z

Ahh, well, I wasn't headed anywhere close to there, I'm out in the panhandle by Wyoming. Nice to meet you though! :mrgreen:

Got the truck started. It's a 1967 Kaiser Jeep, with a 1987 White LDT-465-1D. The batteries took a little juice from the pickup and it fired right up after the pre-flight check. Plugged the air gauge line with a bolt that was sitting in there, and eased it off the trailer. I have ambulance duty tonight, might get some help tomorrow to get it home. I was tickled to hear it crank up so easily. A couple of the inner tubes have bad valve stems, but I got air in most of 'em. Decent tread, but there's some weathering. Not a bad looking truck IMO, should be having fun with it before long.

Attachments

phil2968

Ain't picking up a deuce the best! Even better when it's yours to play with! Congrats on the truck. I had my first, a M109 put on a rgn trailer and brought home 1350 miles. I wish now I had driven it, just did not know the truck and did not want to chance it.
Keep posting and have fun with it!

91W350

Looks like it is knee deep in rubber! I plan to be in your part of the world in October, we have a little vacation planned. That is always a favorite of ours. This last bunch of A2s from Riley were really good trucks. Hopefully when you start looking around you will find all those Tooele Depot tags.... Glen

Big Z

She still has a sprag, though it's dated 86. 3053-A transmission. Got some fresh grease in it and some PB blaster on hinges and am calling it good for today. Whereabouts is your getaway? I love the bluff country here. Courthouse and jailhouse rocks, and chimney rock are a short distance away. Agate fossil beds to the north, and the black hills clear north. Of course, WY offers excellent recreation, and I go trout fishing and elk hunting there.

91W350

We have only planned to hit the Needles. We will probably loop through Western Nebraska along our way. She loves the fossil beds....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks