• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bigger or dual fuel tanks...

dimitrisnowden

Are their any notable downsides to mounting an additional 81gal tank (on a M925A2) to extend the trucks fuel range? Is the work straight forward?

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
How do you plan to use the truck?

Your profile picture is an M925 (w/w). Is that the tuck you're considering this modification for?

Triple C

Most Class 8 trucks use dual tanks with a crossover line between them to help keep them equalized. Fuel to the engine is pulled from the closest tank. Just make sure they are level with one another and you might want to install a second fuel gauge. I would think it would be pretty straight forward if you have good mounting points.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do you plan to keep and use the winch?

The hydraulic tank is probably going to be in your way.

You know they will go about 300 miles or more on a tank, right?

Do you have your truck now?

dimitrisnowden

wow great feedback guys, thanks! so a few questions:

1. should i make tank #2 on a toggle switch where i can select wether to draw from tank #2 or not?
2. does a typical dual tank set up mimic #1 or doe the engine draw for both at the same time, thus recalibrating the fuel gauge in ratio to 162 gallons opposed to 81 gallons? <-- is that even possible?
3. should i use one gauge recalibrate (if possible) or a standalone gauge for tank #2?

Triple C

Lots of ways to do it. If possible I would mount them same height and run a good crossover tube at the bottom so they stay equalized. Then your gauge stays accurate with no modifications.

Aussie Bloke

G'day everyone,....

Just run a connecting line between the tanks as the fuel will self level, also run a breather line between the 2 tanks so as fuel transfers itself over air can move out.
No need to do anything about the fuel gauge if set up this way.

Aussie.

74M35A2

Ford used an all-in-one tank selector valve which also switched the sending unit wire accordingly. They used it for carbureted, injected, and diesel engines, all the same valve I believe. It was made by Pollak. I used one to make my own stand alone dual fuel tank for a flatbed tow truck which used a fuel injected gasoline engine. It worked fine. They don't last forever, but should get at least 10 years out of it. It switches the return line accordingly also, so you are always returning to the tank in use. This would allow you to better control the fuel level in each tank, if that was a desire at all, vs the above referenced under-frame cross-over tube OTR trucks utilize.

http://products.pollakaftermarket.com/category/fuel-selector-valves

I think the valve goes for about $100. You use a standard 2 position, 6 terminal switch to activate it. Easy. May be available in 24V, I have never checked.

jspanier

I just finished having the end caps cut off and have made two tanks into one large one. I also added some straight thread weld ports to tie an addition cross over tank to the setup. Should put my fuel capacity around 200 gallons with the cross over.

Another Ahab

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks