• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Biggest Badest SUV

missoula4x4

Crazy idea I had last night while bored out of my mind. Make an SUV out of a Deuce.

I pieced this together using a picture of a double cab conversion and windows paint. I know it's rough, but it's so you guys can see what I'm thinking would be really cool.

What do you guys think? I know, I know. A lot of sheet metal fab work, but the end product would be so worth the headache.

Attachments

I actually had that thought once! Your visualization is pretty close to how I pictured it. Looks awsome BTW!
That would sure turn some heads everywhere it went! Now picture something similar in a bobber length. Kinda the difference between a Suburban and a Blazer. [thumbzup]

bigzirb

I think it would be sweet! Just remember in addition to the sheet metal work you have to worry about frame flex cracking that body if the body mounts aren't just right. You would also have to design and build a completely custom interior. It might be worth shortening the frame length some to make it a little easier.
If you have the time, money, and knowledge then build it and document the build for the rest of us to enjoy and cheer you on.

bigzirb

You could also go really over the top and build it with the tandem rears in place and just super single the tires. That would make it the Baddest SUV ever!!
Good luck!

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A few years back someone posted a picture very simular to yours. They used photoshop and made a tan unit.

I have looked but can't find it right now. They liked the Suburban style.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Looks like a HUMVEE on steroids.

One issue is how high off the ground the rear is if you are loading people or cargo into it.

A cut down stock deuce bed with a fiberglass shell on top would be pretty neat.

I would make it higher in the rear and sloping down to where the front doors end kind of like the old aerodyne cab over trucks.

missoula4x4

I actually had that thought once! Your visualization is pretty close to how I pictured it. Looks awsome BTW!
That would sure turn some heads everywhere it went! Now picture something similar in a bobber length. Kinda the difference between a Suburban and a Blazer. [thumbzup]
I would have done it on a bobber length, but I just didn't have a half decent side shot of a bobber to start it with. I'll look around and find one to graft the rear section onto.

missoula4x4

I think it would be sweet! Just remember in addition to the sheet metal work you have to worry about frame flex cracking that body if the body mounts aren't just right. You would also have to design and build a completely custom interior. It might be worth shortening the frame length some to make it a little easier.
If you have the time, money, and knowledge then build it and document the build for the rest of us to enjoy and cheer you on.
I would probably reinforce the frame with plate steel and crossmembers. The custom interior was a given.

You could also go really over the top and build it with the tandem rears in place and just super single the tires. That would make it the Baddest SUV ever!!
Good luck!
I thought about the tandem super singles, but the more I thought about it, the more I liked the single rear axle. Screw the soccer moms in their Escalades with their Starbucks, I want a REAL SUV! This thing would make an awesome grocery getter don't you think?

Looks like a HUMVEE on steroids.

One issue is how high off the ground the rear is if you are loading people or cargo into it.

A cut down stock deuce bed with a fiberglass shell on top would be pretty neat.

I would make it higher in the rear and sloping down to where the front doors end kind of like the old aerodyne cab over trucks.
I would want the body to be continuous and relatively seam free just like any commercially available SUV out there, but the fiberglass shell would be cool for an easier build. I also want the Full body, so there isn't a bulkhead separating the passenger area from the cargo.

I was thinking the H1 Wagon style rear doors for ingress/egress, and as far as the height issue, I drew out an idea for a fold out step that would simplify loading/unloading of people and cargo.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You could bring it to Haspin but I doubt very much it would survive the trails. Frame flex would kill the body. The 818s have some wild flex and if I had not seen it with my own eyes I would not have believed that a truck could flex that far on the frame and come back from it.

Ask Ferro and Oilcan.

It would be cool to get attention though.

missoula4x4

You could bring it to Haspin but I doubt very much it would survive the trails. Frame flex would kill the body. The 818s have some wild flex and if I had not seen it with my own eyes I would not have believed that a truck could flex that far on the frame and come back from it.

Ask Ferro and Oilcan.

It would be cool to get attention though.
Sad to say this, but if I ever build this thing, I probably won't take it off road, or if I do, it will be fields and the like. Nothing technical enough to get the frame to flex much at all.

I think I'll also do some sub-framing to the whole body to stiffen it up.

missoula4x4

Sorry, you've lost the race before you've even started: Paramount Marauder!
That's cool and all but fact of the matter is it isn't a Deuce! :wink: I think the Deuce looks much better, at least on the front clip. Plus that marauder looks like a pain to climb in and out of...something I would not want to do with my bum knee.

Last edited:

missoula4x4

He stated "Biggest and Baddest SUV", if it's limited to 50 year old trucks with 1950's technology just say so. :cookoo:
It's the biggest and baddest SUV made out of a 50 year old truck with 50 year old technology :smile: Plus the marauder isn't 4 door, and looks hard to climb in and out of. The marauder looks cool and all, just not what I would want.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks