• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Biggest generator / alternator put on a NHC 250?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have you given up on the live pto powered generator idea?

tim292stro

As long as the rotor resistance is equal or greater than the rotor resistance of the alternator which the regulator originally came from, it will be ok. Example: If the original rotor resistance is 6 ohms, but the new rotor resistance of which this same regulator is now going into is 3 ohms, it will be supplying double the power, and heat, and will quickly overload and fail...
Easily fixed with a judicious application of external resistance [thumbzup]

I second Doghead on the idea of a PTO genset, so long as you can get the engine into a comfortable RPM range to support the power output (with gearing and whatnot). Since you're going with electronic control of your truck, you could roll-in an engine governor function - just saying. :)

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
The truck is a 2011 rebuild with only a few miles past rebuild. The alt makes no power. I have a repair manual for the regulator it's just been so darn cold and snowy. I tried the voltage adjustment and checked contacts with no good results.

74M35A2

Easily fixed with a judicious application of external resistance [thumbzup]

I second Doghead on the idea of a PTO genset, so long as you can get the engine into a comfortable RPM range to support the power output (with gearing and whatnot). Since you're going with electronic control of your truck, you could roll-in an engine governor function - just saying. :)
Should work. Size resistor appropriately regarding wattage.

I have no idea how the dual voltage units are constructed or work.