• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

bikini top

jag7720

Does anyone make a bikini top for the m1009 that just covers the rear passenger seat?

I'm not looking for the complete rear to be covered with roll-up windows and a roof rack... just something that covers the rear seat so I can take the top off when we go to the trails and the passengers won't get roasted in the sun.

jag7720

A buddy here in the office suggested that... my question would be, would a fiberglass top really provide protection?

Also, I'd like to make and install a single roll bar near the rear of the rear seat. Something that would definitely add protection.

dm22630

I cant imagine that they ever would have been mass produced if they would cave in. I am sure some of the strength would be lost if the glass was removed.....but everyone inside would probably walk away from a rollover in the woods.

It just seems like the cheapest & simplest way to do what you want done. They are easy to unbolt & remove/install with 2 people.

jag7720

After thinking about it a bit more, I don't disagree with you. The only thing left is I'd have to have this thing sitting around to use it each summer... thus it becomes a play thing for my kids...

hmmm...

ASTFU

I cut a fibreglass top up and there is steel in the rear molded in so it should give some protection.

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also, I'd like to make and install a single roll bar near the rear of the rear seat. Something that would definitely add protection.
I actually saw one of those last weekend. Supposed to have been a 'factory' option for a few years. The roll bar, not the bikini top part.

It was mounted all the way at the back, with the down angled legs facing the front. The roll bar was at the very rear of the bed.

It looked like it would be IDEAL for your 'bikini top' suggestion. You would probably have to make the roll bar yourself (or have someone who can fab tubing do it for you) and then have a custom made bikini top by someone who does that (guys who make boat covers or make convertible tops comes to mind).

Not cheap by any means, but it would be a 'one of a kind' type of rig that would definitely draw a crowd any time you showed up with it set up.

AJMBLAZER

The fiberglass top just crushes in a roll over. It's no protection. Seen pictures of it several times over on Colorado K5 - Full-Size GM 4x4 Restoration and Off Road Community . The half cab was the roll bar and the idea was that it would pivot off of that and keep the rear seat occupants from getting squished...supposedly.
In a hard roll over or flop the half cab bends pretty easily. The only real protection in a roll over is a cage.

Yes, the rear bar setup was a dealer option for a while. Not factory, dealer. Sorta like the spare tire racks on the outside. You see them from time to time.

Oh, and no, no one makes just a bikini top. Years ago Bestop and I think Skyler made "dusters" and other tops but now there's nothing new on the market except for one new company making a full soft top. Hard market to be in. Everyone says they want one but they never sell in enough quantity to make it worth the effort.

jw4x4

For roll cages, S & W Racecars in Pennsylvania makes a "family cage option". I have a S&W 6 point cage in my 1009, and will soon add the family cage option. When I installed the cage, the rear seat had to be removed. As soon as I can get the other bars in, I can re-install my back seat. I too am searching for a bikini style top. Might have to go to a tarp or vinyl cover specialty shop to get what I want.

mcne2026

Go to an upholstery shop. You can probably get one made for $100 to $150 and it will be exactly what you want, not mass market. Boat upholsterers are very slow in this economy and would love the work.

The S&W Cage is GREAT. I installed one since I use my rig to plow a three mile drive with over 1000' elevation gain with a LOT of switch backs. Always worried about going over the edge.

AJMBLAZER

That's a full top like he said he doesn't want. A Bikini is basically just the top with no sides.

BTW that is the new company making the soft tops.

rockman

Go to a tent or awning maker even a boat cover maker and they can make one. Think about fasteners also and then see what they can do..