• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bill Watson

Charlie

Bill Watson passing

Just received an e-mail from friend John Emery informing me of Bill Watson's passing this morning. Apparently Bill's recent surgery was a success, but he developed some other abdominal complications. My condolences to Bill's wife, Freda, and his family. I understand that there will be a memorial service Sunday, but I don't have any details.

Godspeed, my friend. - Chuck Watford

Bill Watson.jpg

Last edited:

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Bill was a great guy. A giant in the mule/MV hobby.

Bill was an old school business guy. I called him once to buy a clutch for my mule and instead of just taking my order, he said "before I sell you a clutch, you need to check the plate, they have adjustable finger heights are are frequently wrong, you probably don't need a clutch". Good luck calling any other business and having them try to talk you out of buying something. Bill truly believed in looking out for what was best for his customers instead of himself.

I asked him if he had a junk input shaft laying around that I could buy to use as an alignment tool. He said "I don't have any to sell you, but i have one I'll include with your clutch and you can ship it back to me when you're done".

Bill was a true gentleman and a man of word, unlike some other mule parts vendors who shall remain nameless.

I am very sorry to hear of his passing. The world needs more people like Bill Watson, not less.

Dave M38A1

Man,
Bill was always willing to help. So many stories of him going out of his way to help get a Mule going. I got my Mule after he closed his business, but John Emery suggested I call him. I talked with Bill several time and thoroughly enjoyed our conversations and his helpful advice. He will be missed, he made a lasting impression.

Thanks also to Chuck for his advice, help, and parts also making it possible to bring back one of these Mules back to life.

Dave

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bill was a truly great person! How many people would ship you a rebuilt mule motor and bill you after you get it? Everything mule I needed came from Bill.

FrankUSMC

Bill will be missed. The stories that have been told are what made Bill a true gentle man in the hobby. Just a great guy who would help you in a heartbeat, even if you did not buy anything.
Like every one else in this thread, I have Bill Watson parts on my mule, so I will never forget him.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET

emr

May God Bless. A true legend in the Hobby !! :))))) And deservedly so... I am also proud to say, When I had my mule its parts were supplied by Bill.... Randy.

MuleMac01

Military vehicle collector
Oh no.... that sucks I used to buy parts from him a few years ago... great guy I'm sadden by his passing... and my Mule is also...

maccus

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Bill was one of the last of the old time folks. He believed that you were only as good as your word. If your word was no good, you were no good. Not many like him left sad to say. Rest easy Bill.

papakb

I met Bill one day at the MVPA convention back in Charlotte in 1984. He, Leonard Grove and I drove out to Delks Surplus and spend a good portion of the evening digging through the mountains of stuff we found there. It was the highlight of the convention for me. When Leonard passed away Bill inherited most of his stock and carried on the mule business. He and I worked together over the years on so many projects I can't count them. I'll sure miss Bill but not the hard cheese and tomato sandwiches!

Kurt Lesser

zb39

Bill was a great guy to do business with. I got one of his last rebuilt engines right before he quit selling parts. He will be missed. RIP.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks