• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bimini Jeep Style Top

honor first

Long time member (8 years), first post. Have bid on a few HMMWVs over the years, and finally committed to it, and won a M1097R1 unit. Hoping to pick up in the next week or so.

It is a two man that I plan on converting to a four man through the usual parts and process. My question is this. I have searched relentlessly and have not found any discussions about having a Jeep style sunshade bimini top made, or using an existing product. Has anyone done this?

I do not intend on buying doors for a long time, if ever. This will be strictly a pleasure vehicle when the weather is nice, and parked under a cover and car cover when not in use. Will drive it topless and doorless the same as we would our Wrangler, which we no longer have. But I definitely want a sunshade type material to keep direct sun off us. There are obviously hundreds of aftermarket solutions for a Wrangler for this. Has anyone sewn their own cover like this? Or used an off the shelf one. It won't be elements-proof, but I'm not seeking that.

Just something I'm considering instead of dropping nearly $1,000 on a soft top. I don't mind buying a proper soft top for the unit if that's what needs to happen, but just thinking of other ideas.

Image attached of what I mean. Once I get one and get the C pillar and L/R rails installed, I'll also measure to see if any existing tops out there could work.

Attachments

SmartDrug

I’d be amazed if anything currently made could be retrofitted. I’d guess it’ll be at least a foot too narrow.

I think the idea has legs, though. Probably won’t be too hard to mount to the windshield track, a few loops for the B and C pillars, maybe a strap to the rear of the bed to give some cover to the cargo area. I like it. Curious to see what you come up with!

ToddJK

If it's just a sunshade you're going for, why not just use a canvas tarp and mod it to fit and attach the way you see fit? At least it's easy to work with and things like canvas drop cloths can be had for fairly cheap in case you ruin one or two finalizing a design. A few guys have done that for sunshade covers for the cargo beds of their deuces and 5 tons on here. You can even wax it or treat it to be weather resistant for the occasional rain even and for longevity on the cheap and it's easy to do.

Last edited:

honor first

Just place a four man top without the rear curtain and without the doors.
Thanks all for the replies. If I were to end up going with a traditional top and skipping the rear curtain, any recommendations between the major suppliers, such as the Seco Parts top vs the Midwest Military Equipment vs April Mint, etc?

Or are these all coming out of the same Chinese factory? Would kill to have just the aluminum top, no curtain, and be done with it, but just not able to shell that kind of coin out right now.

Thanks!

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
Metal or plastic... Both are going to be expensive. Check with BULLDOGGER. He has skills to make such canvas craft in the past Could be opportunity here $$$

Rock, paper, scissors... CAMO

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think BlueOx makes a bikini top for the HMMWVs.

EDIT to add: He has a HMMWV, so he will make you pretty much anything you want.

He made the roof and rear curtain on mine and as mentioned, without the doors and with the rear curtain rolled up I think there isn't much difference.

Keyport03a.jpg

Last edited:

mgFray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
For a 4 man, you need the C pillar, the side frame and the parts that span both sides... Assuming you have that, then you can get a NOS (or reproduction) from Seco, Eastern, and other places. BlueOx makes them out of good material and will even customize them. If you need the hardware, then go with a NOS kit from one of the reputable vendors.

Any NOS top (and parts) will be made in the USA. (I bought my 2-man top from Eastern Surplus.)

As said before, just skip the rear curtain and you'll be good.

Reactions: OBX

thoner7

Would kill to have just the aluminum top, no curtain, and be done with it, but just not able to shell that kind of coin out right now.

Thanks!
I have no experience with them but Plan B sells an aluminum top without the curtain for $2000, but you don’t need the C Pillar. Soft tops can sell for that price I would bet. Factor in the cost of the C pillar and it may be the same or even cheaper to buy the aluminum top

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We took a trip to Crystal Beach in Texas earlier this year with the 5 ton and M715. We were discussing whether or not to put the cargo covers on.

After remembering how hot it was last year (the top on the 5 ton went low and essentially created a cave that was HOT), my lady got on Amazon and found some "sun shades" that were intended to be used over patios etc and modified them to be used on the trucks.

What a difference it made! They kept us from burning up, but the fact they weren't solid ALSO allowed wind flow.

This is a possibility if you can't find a pre-made one.

Here's how they came out:

received_251478377403915.jpeg

received_229118436415755.jpeg

received_6601649876533580.jpeg

IMG_20230529_180342.jpg

osteo16

Steel Soldiers Supporter
BLueOx...... Love mine... I went with a waterporrof material but he also make breathable tops.. I wanted something i could put on and take off easy in 5 mins.. Stores in a bag in thye back, pop it out if looks like rain,, I dont mind running no doors in rain, but love the quick top to keep from getting soaked.. !!!!! excellent man and vendor.. Top Notch work.. I can send you some pics if you want.. He also has a Facebook page ..

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Metal or plastic... Both are going to be expensive. Check with BULLDOGGER. He has skills to make such canvas craft in the past Could be opportunity here $$$

Rock, paper, scissors... CAMO
Someone asked a year or so ago about a bikini top and I gave it some thought. I have never seen a Jeep one, so am kind of flying blind. I'm interested in exploring a 4 man bikini top, if you are Honor First.

I'll give a +1 for William Welch. His work looks great, and he is well set up for proper sewing of these heavy projects and he has great stock of material and colors. I am limited to slant backs only, though I've been thinking about giving WW competition in curtains.

BDGR

honor first

Someone asked a year or so ago about a bikini top and I gave it some thought. I have never seen a Jeep one, so am kind of flying blind. I'm interested in exploring a 4 man bikini top, if you are Honor First.

BDGR

Will definitely let you know. Picked up my unit. Four man c pillar and kit came in. Hope to install soon, and will then measure things out and contemplate this bimini top concept.

Pics. Love it. Drives great, have put quite a bit of road time on it already, including a 1.5 hour drive home. Vacuumed it out, hope to get some of the first stages of work done in my master plan.

Attachments

em2b96p

Thanks all for the replies. If I were to end up going with a traditional top and skipping the rear curtain, any recommendations between the major suppliers, such as the Seco Parts top vs the Midwest Military Equipment vs April Mint, etc?

Or are these all coming out of the same Chinese factory? Would kill to have just the aluminum top, no curtain, and be done with it, but just not able to shell that kind of coin out right now.

Thanks!

I too would like to know if these tops are good quality or cheap chinese clones. I want to order the kit from SECO but have been holding off because the pictures make it look like a shiny trashbag.

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
William Welch of Blue Ox Tops on Facebook has some great products, including bikini tops. In fact, I can't beat his price for a bikini top (and I don't yet have a good design anyway).
WW and I have been in contact and have agreed not to compete. He's going to send requests for soft slant back kits to me and I am sending top-seekers to him. If I finish my 4-man curtain/bed cover I will be selling that, as WW doesn't make one of those. I'm also trying to find time to design a spare tire cover for HMMWVs.
Here's William's group https://www.facebook.com/groups/967096063720957
BDGR

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I do not understand companies that are too lazy to have a web site, I find Facebook useless as it is difficult to navigate around all the BS posts.
In his case it would be pure waste. With just the current arrangement (FB and word-of-mouth) he cannot keep up with production. There a months-long waiting list before he'll even start cutting fabric on your order. I very much doubt his lack of web presence has anything to do with laziness.

SmartDrug

In his case it would be pure waste. With just the current arrangement (FB and word-of-mouth) he cannot keep up with production. There a months-long waiting list before he'll even start cutting fabric on your order. I very much doubt his lack of web presence has anything to do with laziness.
I know that's not likely his objective, but it would be a much easier avenue to grow the company. He clearly has a market if he's swamped.

Reactions: 98G
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks