• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Biodiesel and waste oil

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I moved your conversation out of the classified ad.

The LDT/LDS engines lend well to straight veggie and waste oil. A 5.9 or 8.3 Cummins lends well to a two tank heated system. I wouldn't recommend SVO/WVO/WMO in any capacity on a Cat or 250 Cummins (Due to the cost of the Cat and the fuel system of the 250).

Biodiesel in a blended ratio should run fine in any MV. Just expect more frequent filter changes.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
I moved your conversation out of the classified ad.

The LDT/LDS engines lend well to straight veggie and waste oil. A 5.9 or 8.3 Cummins lends well to a two tank heated system. I wouldn't recommend SVO/WVO/WMO in any capacity on a Cat or 250 Cummins (Due to the cost of the Cat and the fuel system of the 250).

Biodiesel in a blended ratio should run fine in any MV. Just expect more frequent filter changes.
Also the ole MACK HATES WMO:-D

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't forget, The LDT/LDS engines runs good on ATF as well. I run a 50/50 mix in the Deuce, seems to keep the system clean and exhaust smoke down to a minim. I am still paying $1.00 a gallon for ATF just picked up 3-55 gallon barrels.

bob1256

I know back in the old school days the profressors told us to add ATF to the diesel in the winter, it acts well as an anti- gel mix. Wonder if you can go with a mix like that on the CAT or Cummins engine?

wilogger

Watch out if you put ATF in your on-road fuel I think it has the 164 red dye in it like off-road fuel. My buddy just had his tank dipped and the DOT gave him a ticket for running off-road non-taxed fuel $5000.00 bucks. It's a federal offense and an audit by the IRS. He's going to fight it. I wont run it anymore.

Ducelove

I'm almost positive that ATF has a different die in it than off road diesel - to an " untrained" eye it's the same but there are tests that have to be preformed before a ticket can be issued

wilogger

Just did a quick google search found out solvent red 164 dye is used in off road fuel and some hydraulic fluids. Transmission fluid is a type of hydraulic fluid. Hope the info i googled is wrong?

Ducelove

I'm not sure what kinda legal action he can take now but at the time id have them pull a sample and make them take it to a lab and I'm sure the chemistry is not the same as red diesel

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have never in my life heard of a deuce tank getting dipped by any LEO. As well as being pulled over in the first place. The data plate on the dash will answer any concerns if asked. If you were driving a commercial truck I can see it.

nf6x

Feral Engineer
I wouldn't recommend SVO/WVO/WMO in any capacity on a Cat or 250 Cummins (Due to the cost of the Cat and the fuel system of the 250).
What is it about the NHC250 fuel system that makes running WMO a bad idea?

I've been collecting WMO for a while, but now that I'm replacing my multifuel trucks with M939 series trucks I'm wondering if I will have any use for the stuff. If it is OK to run WMO in a 6.2 then I might try it in a CUCV. If that is also unwise, then maybe I need to trade it off to somebody with a deuce.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If it is clean, liquid, flammable, and water free, it goes in my tanks. In everything. Deuce, XM818, 2004 dodge 2500, 1965 ford 4000 tractor, M915A1, M1008.

I was a ships oil king. I've forgotten more about fuel oil testing and quality control then most people learn in a lifetime. Ask anyone on here, my trucks have 0 fuel issues. Yes, sometimes the mix makes them smoke like a freight train, but I'm a locomotive engineer by trade so thats fine with me.

You do NOT need a conversion kit to burn odd stuff- but you must do it carefully and smartly. I've got 242,xxx miles on that dodge, and only have had to change filters and oil, and I get 33mpg highway. And I burn EVERYTHING in that truck. When EMD567 and I came back from Kansas, I got 21mpg and that was with a total truck and trailer weight of 14,140lbs and going 70+ MPH. 2cents

:tinkerbell:

Some diesels are just built with very narrow fuel requirements. If you mix and blend to keep it within the design perimeters, you will have no issues as well.

Last edited:

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Against my better judgement I have a tendency to listen to Ferro.............oooh that hurts.

Tplane37

If it is clean, liquid, flammable, and water free, it goes in my tanks. In everything. *** M1008.

You do NOT need a conversion kit to burn odd stuff- but you must do it carefully and smartly. ***

Some diesels are just built with very narrow fuel requirements. If you mix and blend to keep it within the design perimeters, you will have no issues as well.
Shipmate, What is a good mix for your M1008 and how do you test/verify the mix before running it? My civvy 85 C30 has a 6.2L from a M1009 in it, and I am looking into this reuse side of things. I have friends that either own or manage quick lubes, fast food restaurants, and trucking companies. I have access to the waste oil, ATF, frier oil, and axle lube. But before I go bugging them about it, I want to get my truck ready and know which fluids I am going to want.

I remember that the boilers on my old ship would run on about anything you pumped through the manifolds, even though they were designed for diesel. I also know that a 12 or 24 valve Cummins will run straight ATF (primed fuel systems this way at a diesel shop I worked at in Cali). But this is my first Detroit, and the owner of the shop I used to work at literally refused to touch a 6.2 or 6.5 for some unknown reason, so my experience on them is somewhat lacking.

Last edited: