• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bit the bullet and bought a new box and sensor for the glow plugs system.

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got it at Erik's a little cheaper than Kascar, un did the negative ground on the batteries, checked all glow plugs, all were 3.2-3.3 ohms. disconnected canon plugs unbolted 4 bolts and removed box. Cleaned all the areas where the bolts attach to the box, put new start washers and a couple bolts on, put box in. Connected cannon plugs. Removed TSU after clamping hose, installed new one. Waited an hour, then connected negative ground. Waited another hour turned switch to run. WOOHOOOOO, wait light for about 8 seconds. started engine and did it a few more times, Apparently this box is smarter than the old one. It would only turn the glow plug wait light on for a couple seconds. After letting it sit a while, it again ran the whole 7-9 seconds on the wait light.

Anyway I was having intermittent issues with the old box, eventually after smacking it and playing with it it would energize the glow plugs but it was getting old, and don't want to trust this thing.... Took the old one apart, Looks like I can fix it. This explains the intermittent problem for sure..... What is this thing called? Looks like I can just desolder and replace it and maybe have a good spare box too. Can I assume this part is the same as the one on the left? Thanks!

Attachments

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just looked on sites, None of them have the exact same markings as the ones on my board, How do I figure out which one to use? I never took electronics :( Are the numbers below the IRFP2907 just date codes and lot numbers or are they important?

Last edited:

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did any of that crap get on circuit board ?
If it did it will have to be cleaned.
Yeah, lots of black residue. What do you suggest for cleaning? I'm assuming here this is the only part that's fried, I don't know how to test the board except for putting it in and trying it.

cwc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The numbers below the part number are lot/date codes, per the manufacturer's datasheet.

View attachment IRFP2907 MOSFET Datasheet.pdf
You can have one of these in your mailbox in a couple of days for less that $10, so it seems worth a try. Hopefully nothing else got overheated. There could be some conductivity to the deposits (i.e. short), so maybe scrub the affected area lightly with a soft brush and electronics/contact cleaner?

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The numbers below the part number are lot/date codes, per the manufacturer's datasheet.

View attachment 653935
You can have one of these in your mailbox in a couple of days for less that $10, so it seems worth a try. Hopefully nothing else got overheated. There could be some conductivity to the deposits (i.e. short), so maybe scrub the affected area lightly with a soft brush and electronics/contact cleaner?
Thanks a bunch for the info. Didn't want to get the wrong part!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks