• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Black Diesel!!!

Old Duece

I just purchased the fuel proccesor fuel system from Freedom fuels, Gonna end up making a sweet fuel coctail with used motor oil , kerosene and seafoam, when i get home in 19 days from iraq finnally and try it out in the deuce, Hopefully it will love it.

shannondeese

I run 7 gallons of gas to every 23 gallons of WMO. My Deuce has been running somewhere close to this mix for 4 years now with no issues. I played around with the mix ratio a whole bunch to get to this one. It seems to start the easiest and run the best on it. If I can get W automatic trans fluid that's even better. I run it almost straight. The deuce actually runs better off of that than it does on straight diesel.

rolling18

I just purchased the fuel proccesor fuel system from Freedom fuels, Gonna end up making a sweet fuel coctail with used motor oil , kerosene and seafoam, when i get home in 19 days from iraq finnally and try it out in the deuce, Hopefully it will love it.
what are your mixing proportions?/ ratios? results?

Wyoming

if you read the spec for the ldt 465 multifuel engine it states the for every 15 gallons of gasoline you should have 1 quart of oil. But for diesel and gasoline the mix is about 60% diesel and 40% gasoline.

Ford Mechanic

if you read the spec for the ldt 465 multifuel engine it states the for every 15 gallons of gasoline you should have 1 quart of oil. But for diesel and gasoline the mix is about 60% diesel and 40% gasoline.

Also there's another thread in the Alt. fuels section about O ring capabilities that Beyond Biodiesil did. I belive it said the original o rings wouldn't handle over 25% gas for long..... You may want to read it.

Beyond Biodiesel

Also there's another thread in the Alt. fuels section about O ring capabilities that Beyond Biodiesil did. I belive it said the original o rings wouldn't handle over 25% gas for long..... You may want to read it.
Thanks, Ford Mechanic, when I first read this thread i did not give the gasoline content a question, other than to find it remarkable that a diesel engine would run on 60% diesel and 40% gasoline.

However, on second thought, back when the multi-fuel engine was developed gasoline did not have alcohol in it, now it has it at about 10%, which will swell silicone seal, which are common in mechanical rotary injector pumps, such as any Stanadyne model. I found that if the gasoline content were brought down to 30% or less, then the silicone seals will not swell.

Custer

I have been looking at his system to purchase as well. But the steep price tag has me nervous...
I've read some bad things about the house filters clogging quickly on other sites. Not necessilary on his system, just in general on other home made setups. However he uses the same filter setup.

Would love to get your review on it now that you've had it for awhile. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Custer,

rolling18

what are the proportions of those three ingredients? I have a decent filter setup I just need to know the proportions.. I'm sure it's not a secret is it?

stampy

Building one of these is not that hard. Get a pump, filter/base, and a barrel. The expensive part is the pump 99$ is about the cheapest and thats for a light duty 12v pump but it comes with hoses and a fill nozzle. Napa has a sale this weekend on filters too, figure about 30$ on sale. then there is the barrel, anywhere from free to $$$$ depends on what you want. Fittings are a few bucks but its reasonable you can build a 55gal processor for about $150. So if you blend about 20 gallons of kerosene with 35 gallons of waste oil your cost for 55gal of fuel is 80$ saving you 140$.....of course you need to pay road taxes if fuel is used on the road. Or buy a better long term pump for 300-400$ and get longevity out of your system. Or let the first setup pay for your new one.

Diecorpse

I have looked into set up similar to what was described above. I figured attaching a filter on the hose then to the nozzle. I think I would probably get a pump that can handle the oil. I just haven't got around to it yet. Lately I use five gallon pales with mesh screen and furnace filter. Takes a while but its clean. I also use a 150 lb pull magnet to make sure all metal particles dont go past the mesh before the filter. For water and such, I just dump dry gas in it. One bottle for every five gallons. Worked out good so far. I also mix premium gas with the oil. About ten gallons to thirty or forty gallons of wmo. But I only do that in the cooler seasons. It helps thin the wmo and she started easy with a touch of either. In the summer I use only four or five gallons of gas or diesel to wmo. On one occasion I used a few bottles of rum, lighter fluid, and lamp oil to my oil. It ran great but had some unpleasant odors to the exhaust. Someone suggested windshield washer fluid but I wasn't going to do that. Thats just asking for problems.

Diecorpse

Also, how would you figure in road taxes for products like that? Even if you used your oil that you paid taxes on, you still have to pay road taxes? Good thing I haven't done that often, last thing I want to do is get in trouble by the law cause I was being an idiot. Lol. I need to do some searchin to find out here in Nebraska before I do it anymore.

3rdaavbn

I used to run waste veggy oil in my 97 powerstroke. I ran it through 5/1 micron filter bags that I bought from greasecar dot com. They have a 7 inch steel ring in them, that when you cut a 6 inch hole in the top of a 55 gal. drum it holds the bag well and you just pour it through. Then pump it out when you have 40 or so gal. filtered. Just a thought.

Gunzy

Pure gasoline is available out there if you do google searches. I have 2 fuel stops in my area that sell ethanol free gas. It usually costs .15 to .25 cents more per gallon but having no ethanol is worth it. I run this in old show cars that were never designed for ethanol blends and they run much better than on ethanol. This may help you folks in your blending process. Hope that helps.

Ford Mechanic

Also, how would you figure in road taxes for products like that? Even if you used your oil that you paid taxes on, you still have to pay road taxes? Good thing I haven't done that often, last thing I want to do is get in trouble by the law cause I was being an idiot. Lol. I need to do some searchin to find out here in Nebraska before I do it anymore.
State tax varyies from state to state and you'll need to do some home work on how to do it properly. Don't hesitate to call your department of revenue to find your answers. Lot's more on this subject in this thread, really starts with that info about page 5 http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?94182-ATF-red-dye

Custer

After some research, I have decided to both filter and centrifuge my oils. Since I'm unsure of where all my used oil is coming from, and knowing most of it is out of diesel engines, I figured the centrifuge would be my best option. I am also about to get a bunch of machining coolants to add to the mix. The centrifuge will help remove any suspended metals and water. Hoping my bag filters come today that I ordered from Duda diesel. I will first pump off the top of 55 gallon barrels through a 25 micron bag filter into a 275 gallon tote sitting out in the sun. My plan is to cut it with gasoline and let settle for about a week. I will then pump off the top again through a 5 micron bag filter stacked into a 1 micron into another 275 gallon tote positioned above another 275 gallon tank. I will let it gravity feed into my centrifuge barrel (once I get that set up) and run it till I feel it's clean. From there it will go into the clean bottom 275 tank until I'm ready to blend whatever desired blend with diesel. I have 5 different diesel engines I plan on trying black diesel on. So each blend percentage may end up being different. And possibly change throughout the year depending on temperatures outside.

Kalashnikov

FYI it is better to use regular gas than higher octane due to the higher octane having a higher ignition temp.

The quickest way I have found is a gas water pump with a spin on filter. My pump is 3"/6.5HP IIRC and I have about a 10' of 1" suction line and 25'+ of 3/4" output. I think the last batch I made was 225-250 gallons of mostly 15w40 with 25/30 gallons of very old gas. I can fill my 50 gallon tank in a couple minutes. Quicker than going to a fuel station. I have used hundreds of gallons and it has more than paid for atleast 1 of my trucks.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks