• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Black Fuel in filter

kcbbqguru

My 85 1009 was running rough, then would run fine, decided to change out fuel filter, when I took off the old one, the fuel that came out was black as old used oil. Is this normal? does anyone think I should maybe run all the fuel out and check it again? or maybe change the filter set up to a spin on? thanks

txmytx_catahoula

I know we've seen that in the bottom of our bulk tanks when water and algae are present. A little HEET and algecide(sp?) and it will clear out. That black stuff will take out the newer diesel IPs, not sure how it will affect these older ones.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
are sure you are not making oil or fuel.. ie motor oil getting into fuel system via fuel pump??

Never seen oil get into the fuel, with a bad pump. Just the other way around.

wayne pick

u got bugs, Actually Cyanobacteria, they actually eat diesel fuel. I would drain the tank and change the filter. Add 5gal of fuel to the tank and treat with Racor diesel biocide. RACADT2116 16oz treats 1600gal. If you don't drain the tank and Don't kill all the algae it will be an ongoing problem as they multiply rapidly. You could go through literally hundreds of gal of fuel before you kill all the algae. Keep treating untill you finish the bottle of biocide. Change your fuel sorce as you might be odopting someone elses bugs.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
After they clean it ask them to re-coat it with the interior "paint" as well.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks