• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Black Ice Driving - Atlanta area

AMMO 23

If you have to go out take it slow chain up if you have them. But look out for the other guy. Sure as the sun will come up he will get you.2cents

Pawnshop

I am reading this from Central Texas where it almost never snows, but WILL ice up at least once every winter. I agree with the poster who advised us to shift an auto tranny to neutral when stopping. Years ago I was driving a '95 F-150 with a 300 I6/auto in the ice/snow, everything went well on my 12 mile trip to work until I was STOPPED at a light and the rear end just went out from under me! That **** auto tranny was spinning the tires at idle! Neutral at the stops is a good thing, just be smoooooth getting back into drive...

Pawnshop

AND... if you know it is going to get nasty overnight and you have to drive in the morning, lock in your hubs before you go to bed, it is real hard to turn those things when they are covered in ice!

Don't use 4x4 on ice!!!!!!!!!!! use 2 wheel drive only use 4x4 to get out of a stuck then put it back in 2 wheel drive. 4 wheel drive will spin you out on ice. don't believe me just drive down the interstate and see all the 4x4 s in the ditch or upside down. if the roads are bad and you don't have an emergency stay home!
I strongly disagree. Having those front wheels pulling does wonders for keeping the back end from flying out, plus you get the added resistance for more subtle slowing down than with breaks. Plus you get traction, which is at a premium in icy conditions.

But what do I know, I just drive on snow and ice covered roads almost every day for 6 months straight. Throttle control, both on and off, especially with the torque of a diesel, and anticipating whats going on before you get there, coupled with driving a safe speed for the conditions is all I can offer.

Hogg

Lots of good advise, BUT if you're from Southern Oklahoma like me, try to stomp the gas pedal plum through the floor and hang on....rofl I'm the guys everybody on here is telling you to watch out for, the only difference is, I know how to drive...

Lots of good advise, BUT if you're from Southern Oklahoma like me, try to stomp the gas pedal plum through the floor and hang on....rofl I'm the guys everybody on here is telling you to watch out for, the only difference is, I know how to drive...
And you're from OK, not over 8k in the mountains of Colorado. You are the exact person that we bitc* about.

You don't know how to drive in snow for crap. Stay at home and watch football, don't go out to the bar and try to look cool.

Thankfully I've got a soft heart, warm clothes, and plenty of recovery tools.

Don't be "that guy". It's not what you want to strive for in life.

- Christian

dc3coyote

Simple rules for driving in the south during a snow storm..........DONT. I think Carnace or WM mentioned it.
How much will you make today if you go to work, now how much is your insurance deductable. Unless you have
a required to show job like a paramedic or firefighter, take the day off and make snow angles or anatomically
correct snowmen, and women.

tigger

Medic.
In Memorial
I strongly disagree. Having those front wheels pulling does wonders for keeping the back end from flying out, plus you get the added resistance for more subtle slowing down than with breaks. Plus you get traction, which is at a premium in icy conditions.

But what do I know, I just drive on snow and ice covered roads almost every day for 6 months straight. Throttle control, both on and off, especially with the torque of a diesel, and anticipating whats going on before you get there, coupled with driving a safe speed for the conditions is all I can offer.
Well i guess we are going to have to agree to disagree.

Midnight Rider

No one mentioned that you should make sure you have tread on your tires.

My bald front tires didn't really help me in that turn today and didn't assist too much when I engaged the 4 wheel drive. It was a shallow ditch at least. :cool:

Stan Leschert

Been there, done that.

All that you have to know, is, unless you have chains on all wheels,
or studded tires on said same, just stay home.

Snow can be dealt with.

Black Ice is just a way of cleaning the Gene Pool.

I don't care how well trained that you are,
that crap will really cause you big brand new problems...
and it WILL decrease the stock of your motor pool!

If you don't kill a civvie, on your own way out, Mother Nature will win.

Stay home, don't play. This is a Nationally Advertised IED that you can avoid.

Listen, Don't play. 1 day lost pay won't kill you.

Or just ignore the advice.

Your estate can just sell your toys, and hope to cover the insurance lawsuit.

:deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks