• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Black Out Light Replacements

SOGsniper

I'm new to the CUCV world. I recently purchased a 1985 M1009. It was basically stock except for the snow plow mount. I have done some minor upgrades, console, stereo, roll on bedliner. I was wondering if anyone has come up with any white LED replacements for the standard black out lights in the bumpers? Thinking they would be a good location for some off road LEDs to help see a little better while plowing or off roading. Just seeing if anyone else has done anything similar.
Thanks.

cucvrus

While plowing? The lights would be behind the plow and very low. Are you referring to the small holes in the front bumper? I installed a set of white LED's in the rear bumper slots just to fill the holes. They are not very bright. But I was just looking to put something in the empty spots. LED truck lite plow lights would do the job for you. I have a few sets on plow trucks.
http://www.truck-lite.com/webapp/wc...estType=Base&categoryId=13092&catalogId=10002

SOGsniper

Yeah I am considering a small light bar on the grill guard as plow lights, I'm only doing my own driveway. I have looked at several different brands of "rock lights" to fill the small cutouts in the bumpers.

SOGsniper

Thanks! Does anyone have pictures of the blackout lights turned on? Mine were not functioning when I got it, broken wires, and they have been painted over.

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That would be a tough picture to get; they're really only visible when it's completely dark outside.

No light you fit into that little hole is going to do much, I doubt you'd even be able to tell they're on if you power them with the headlights on. Probably the most interesting thing you an do is put some IR lights in there and drive around with night vision goggles.

MarcusOReallyus

I have to agree with Mainsail. Those blackout lights wouldn't even show up on a city street if you had the headlights off. They are meant to be seen by other vehicles in the convoy, not to illuminate the road.

I have thought of putting some amber LEDs there to augment my directional signals, but you really are not going to get any significant amount of light from them.

Drock

I have to agree with Mainsail. Those blackout lights wouldn't even show up on a city street if you had the headlights off. They are meant to be seen by other vehicles in the convoy, not to illuminate the road.

I have thought of putting some amber LEDs there to augment my directional signals, but you really are not going to get any significant amount of light from them.
I thought about doing the same thing. I want to go to top & bottom headlights then perhaps use the blackout light hole for a turn signal.

Bighorn

The previous owner of my m1009 took out the rear cats eyes in the bumper but left the fronts.
Seemed useless since I dont intend to ride in a military convoy so I removed them all.
Using the wires to power a trucklite led worklamp in the left rear bumper and used the front wires to power an underhood worklight.
So when I switch from the service lights down to blackout, those led work lights come on.
Then when I flip the left hand blackout switch up, a single halogen flood comes on at the front bumper.
My thinking is; for an extended night repair, I have the led's which use very little power.
Then if I need to help someone else, I can engage my leds and that single halogen flood instead of using my headlights.
Yea, could let the truck idle with headlights on but.. that means key in ignition while I am out of the vehicle and I never do that with strangers.

cucvrus

When you are wearing night vision googles they look real bright. I had the Pennsylvania State Police at my field one night. My kids were swinging glow sticks around on a string. He was humored that someone called about us driving with no lights real fast back and forth from the woods. He laughed and rode out to the woods with us just too complete his duty. He said he was going to write us a citation. The charges were. Defendant did engage in driving with black out lights on even tho no state of war was officially declared. He was a Marine and an Iraq vet. He turned the lights on the cruiser for my kids and I think would have hung out with us at the bonfire longer if he weren't on duty. We had a big fire down by the stream and it was not visible from anywhere except when you went to the stream bank. He done his job and moved on. I found it quite funny that he made up the charges for my kids. They were riding a motorcycle also in the dark with the glow sticks. Good times.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I use mine often.
On a dark night with eyes acclimated, the BO light is more than bright enough to drive around and not hit anything.
Even used it on a less traveled county dirt road and it was just fine. Not smart, but fine.

CUCVEightyFive

Greetings!! I recently purchased my first military vehicle, a M1008, and am a new member of SS. Love this site!! The truck is in great condition, and I want bring it back to how it looked the day it originally went into service. My first project is to restore the blackout marker lights in the bumpers. For some reason the connectors were cut off the wiring harness, leaving the wires dangling near each blackout marker. They also cut the connectors off the blackout markers themselves. Lastly, the blackout markers were painted over when the bumper was painted. (Someone really wanted to shut these down, permanently. LOL)

I might be able to clean the paint off, but probably easier to buy a set of replacement marker lights to install. However, since the connectors were removed from the wiring harness side, would you say that my only option at this point is to solder a splice in to complete the connections and to protect with shrink wrap? I would love to restore the harness back to the original connectors, but don't believe parts are available for that. Thanks for any tips.

Last edited:

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
New replacements can be found.
Check the classifieds section here and if no luck, then check eBay.
Their usually on there.
New Military connectors can also be found on eBay.

Usually a SS member will have some connectors to help you out.

Congrats on the truck and welcome to SteelSoliders.

cucvrus

I possibly have takeoffs with the plugs and all. Back in the day when I was full blown plow truck building I just cut them wires high and tight. Put Chrome bumpers and full grilles and called it a day. Stopped a lot of questions and doubt. Let me know if I can help.

CUCVEightyFive

Thanks guys! I appreciate the info. I'm glad you mentioned the classified section, Tinstar. Being so new, I have not explored that section of the site yet.

And thanks cucvrus for the info on your blackout markers you removed. It sounds like the way you cut them off, you have both sides of the connectors still and some extra wire on the wiring harness side. That sounds perfect in my case, and would allow me to make up for the several inches of gap in my wiring where my connectors were cut out. I'll send you a PM.

FrankenCub

That would be a tough picture to get; they're really only visible when it's completely dark outside.

No light you fit into that little hole is going to do much, I doubt you'd even be able to tell they're on if you power them with the headlights on. Probably the most interesting thing you an do is put some IR lights in there and drive around with night vision goggles.
I have a project I'll be working on this summer similar. Replacing the front BO lights with IR and fitting an IR security camera behind the grill wired to my laptop. Will be used for driving the logging roads while coyote hunting.

Gralmk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks guys! I appreciate the info. I'm glad you mentioned the classified section, Tinstar. Being so new, I have not explored that section of the site yet.

And thanks cucvrus for the info on your blackout markers you removed. It sounds like the way you cut them off, you have both sides of the connectors still and some extra wire on the wiring harness side. That sounds perfect in my case, and would allow me to make up for the several inches of gap in my wiring where my connectors were cut out. I'll send you a PM.

Be aware that a ton of people sell BO lights with the rubber Packard connectors, If you want to be military correct these are not for cucv's, the correct ones for cucv's have a plastic GM connectors, CUCVRUS has them, and they can be found in ads, but you have to look!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks