• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Black smoke from defrost vent

Dirty1

I tried a search and nothing came up.

Here is the story. I started the truck today and let it warm up a bit. I drove it for about 10 minutes to my buddy's shop to do some welding on the plow frame. Nothing was different than any other time I drove it.

After we were done I left the shop and went to he store. Again nothing out of the ordinary. When I left the store, the truck started fine but as I began to drive off there was thick black smoke, that smelled like an electrical fire, that was coming from the defroster vents. The defrost was on at this time.

I pulled over, shut the truck off, popped the hood and let the cab air out. I started looking for the source. I could not find anything. I was able to drive the truck home with the defrost off and there was no more smoke.

What do you all think? Is it my blower motor? I disconnected the batteries for the night.

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd suspect the blower resistor may have failed or had a mouse nest cought fire from it's heat.

Easily inspected and tested.

Last edited:

Dirty1

Thanks for the replies! I will take a peak tomorrow. I was just worried that my truck would burn in the driveway while I was at work tonight.

wayne pick

Did you disconnect the bateries before welding? Bad grounds and old wiring can do some not so funny things when welding is is done with the batteries connected. I blew out every single lightbulb on a garbage truck this way many years ago. Just a thought.

Dirty1

I had the same thought. I asked him about it prior to welding but he said it would be fine. I guess I learned a lesson today.

dstang97

Always disconnect your batteries when you weld. I once fried all of my gauges in my k2500 because I was being lazy.

dstang97

Also mice love heater boxes. I know of a few that have caught on fire. I really need to take mine apart and inspect.