• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Black Substance on Battery Terminals Between Frame and Tunnel

tjonesdfw

Steel Soldiers Supporter
After removing the ring terminals for the radio tray power cable from the positive and ground stud terminals between the frame and the tunnel, I don't think I'm getting a good connection anymore. Both were covered in a thick black material that had skinned over like silicone on the outside, but was still wet and grease like on the inside. Does anyone know what that material is, and what kind of solvent or cleaner will remove it? Before we pulled the cable out, batteries were good, box was good, and the truck fired up just fine, but immediately after hooking it all back up, I got a fast blink wait light like I've got a bad ground or bad battery. Logic says that goop is now preventing rather than protecting a good connection on one or both of those studs.

royg

I share your experience.
I have no idea what the gunk is, or if we have the same gunk, but I used MEK on mine and it cleanup up nice.
I wonder if brake clean would dis-solve it? but that's unobtainiun around me lately.

tjonesdfw

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I share your experience.
I have no idea what the gunk is, or if we have the same gunk, but I used MEK on mine and it cleanup up nice.
I wonder if brake clean would dis-solve it? but that's unobtainiun around me lately.
Thanks for the recommendation. I tried some acetone to get it off my tools and it still took alot of rubbing with a rag to get it off. It's certainly some nasty stuff and there's hardly any room to get your hands or tools up there.

Last edited:

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes just about any solvent will work, some like MEK just work faster and with less effort, but wear gloves and eye protection with MEK or any other solvent for that matter.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks