• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Blackout light bypass

dixiepc

I have searched and searched and can't find it, but surely someone on here has bypassed the blackout light switches.
I intend to leave them in the dash but would like to bypass them to avoid the aggravation of the service lights getting switched off when someone else is driving that doesn't know what to do. Can anyone help me? I've looked at the wiring diagrams but I still can't figure out what needs to be done.

Thanks

stranger75

Why bother bypassing? The Service Lights on/ off switch is one the coolest built in features these trucks have! Inform your guest drivers how to operate the truck, or use a label maker and post directions right on the dash.

MarcusOReallyus

Dixie, first of all, WELCOME to SS! :beer:

Get ready to be told you should never do that! Oh, wait, you already have been! :mrgreen: Well, don't worry, somebody else will do it again, I'm sure.

Basically what you would be doing is restoring the truck to its civilian wiring, as far as the lights go. To do that, you really need two things:

1. A good understanding of the current wiring.
  2. A civvy wiring diagram.
  3. A lot of patience.

And I need to learn to count! :mrgreen:

I will confess to SS heresy here: I plan to do the same thing. :whistle:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I won't tell you that you shouldn't but that feature can be useful if the truck ever gets stolen. Cops notice vehicles at night without lights. Unless its an M1010 you cal leave them in service drive too.

dixiepc

Thanks Guys,

This truck belongs to a friend and that is what he want's done. I'm not to bad with electrical when I understand all of the components. If I knew what was happening in the switches I might be able to figure it out. Has nobody already done this?

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The wiring diagrams show the circuits and by reading them you can trace the path thru the switches.

Diagram E-13 from the TM 9-2320-289-34 manual is the one you need.

Not going to tell you not to do it, but here is what will happen.

Your friend "rewires" the truck. Live is grand
He sells the truck
The new owner finds this site
The new owner post a question "My blackout lights don't work, how do I fix it"
The site members spend hours troubleshooting the system, just to find out that it has been "rewired"
The new owner want to restore the truck back to stock
The new owner has to buy new plugs for the switches
The members spend more hours helping him to rewire.

Seen it too many times and I do have the teeshirt.

If he wants the CUCV to be more civilian have him buy a civvy truck.

Last edited:

dixiepc

There are no blackout lights. I'm just trying to help a friend out with what he wants done.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looking at diagram E-13.

Make a couple of jumper wires with female spade connectors. Atleast 12 ga and 3-4 in long.

Remove the plug from the "service" switch, not the b/o switch.

Jumper between the Orange and Orange/black terminals. This is the light portion of the circuit.

Jumper between the white and white/black terminals. This is the stoplight portion of the circuit

Tape up the connector and your done.

dixiepc

He didn't tell me that the lights didn't work at all, with or without the B/O switch on or off. I tried the jumpers and still nothing. Fuse was good but I still replaced it and still nothing. None of the lights work, headlights, running lights, or blinkers. Any ideas.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm really confused now.

Where the lights working and you just want to "rewire" them

Or are you trying to troubleshoot non-working lights?

dixiepc

I didn't know that the lights were not working when he brought it to me, he just wanted the B/O switch bypassed. When I went out to try the bypass that you told me about I turned them on first just to see what was going on and nothing came on. Since my last post I have managed to get the running lights and blinkers to work but not the headlights as of yet. He just told me that he had put a new headlight switch in himself, maybe its a bad switch. I'll let you know what happens.

Thanks

dixiepc

Well I have tried a different headlight switch with no change. There is power getting to the switch and all the running lights and blinkers are working. I'm wondering if there might be something wrong with the dimmer switch. I have pulled the plug off the switch and tried to jump from the yellow wire to the dim side and the high side and still no lights. Maybe if I can get this thing fixed I can talk him into keeping the B/O switches hooked up.

dixiepc

Well I found the problem. When he put the new switch in somehow or another he pushed the battery feed wire out of the plug. The tail light feed is a different wire so we were getting power to them but not the headlights. I think that his whole problem started with a blown fuse. Gonna see if he will just leave the B/O switches active.

Thanks All

shorad93

If you're interested, I did the bypass system by using 2 jumper wires on the plug itself. No cutting of any wire involved. I saved all the switches just in case I decide to put it back in operation. If you have to ask why I did this, well, the Mrs. likes to drive my truck every once in a while. It confused her so much after she accidentally changed one of the switch locations while out shopping. So, to make life easier, I made the jumpers and life is great. Will post pix later.

dixiepc

Got him to keep the switches but I would like to see the pictures anyway. If it ever comes up again this would be good stuff to know.
Warthog made a post about this but pictures would be great for future reference.

Thanks

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you're interested, I did the bypass system by using 2 jumper wires on the plug itself. No cutting of any wire involved. I saved all the switches just in case I decide to put it back in operation. If you have to ask why I did this, well, the Mrs. likes to drive my truck every once in a while. It confused her so much after she accidentally changed one of the switch locations while out shopping. So, to make life easier, I made the jumpers and life is great. Will post pix later.
Isn't that what I instructed to do in post #8?

dstang97

I think it's easier to tell people driving your truck not to mess with any of the switches. Or you can bend a piece of metal so it is physically impossible to move the switch.