• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Blackout Lights

4bogginchevys

Does anyone know if I can buy new lenses for my B.O. lights, and where I might get them? When I bought my 1008 I noticed that someone didn't bother to tape them off when they painted the truck flat black. I tried all sorts of chemicals to get the paint off without melting the plastic....nothing worked. I eventually just scraped the paint off whick marred the lenses a bit. The lights all work except for the one in the grill but I suspect thats just a bulb. Thank you:-D

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The lights are all one piece. I purchased some from TedG a while back, he might still have some. The light in the grille can leak causing corrosion. Simple to check though, only three screws. If it is just the bulb, be sure to use dielectric grease when replacing it.

K9Vic

Try steel wool to clean the lenses as long as they are glass, if plastic then you just like me are stuck finding whole replacements. I have not looked to see if they are glass as I am new to the CUCV club, but if they are steel wool works to take paint over spray off windows.

EDIT: Since this was on my mind, I checked and they are plastic lenses. However since mine were painted I figured I would try this anyways and it worked well enough to clean off the paint. After the steel wool I used Novus Plastic Polish #2 to shine up the lenses and they are probably functional again.

See for yourself!!

Attachments

Last edited:
Here ya go.

ETA: I wasnt sure if you meant these BOL Head and Tail in the bumpers or the BO Headlight in the grill.

IF anyone needs a BO headlight I have at least one extra I would be willing to part with.

MILITARY M880 CUCV M1008 M1009 FRONT BLACK OUT LIGHT
Starting bid:US $18.00
Time left:1 day 22 hours (Dec 29, 200918:00:00 PST)
MILITARY M880 CUCV M1008 M1009 FRONT BLACK OUT LIGHT #:eBay Motors (item 190360100536 end time Dec-29-09 18:00:00 PST)

MILITARY M880 CUCV M1008 M1009 REAR BLACKOUT LIGHT 12V
Starting bid:US $22.00
Time left:1 day 22 hours (Dec 29, 200918:00:00 PST)
MILITARY M880 CUCV M1008 M1009 REAR BLACKOUT LIGHT 12V:eBay Motors (item 190360104105 end time Dec-29-09 18:00:00 PST)

Last edited:

4bogginchevys

the lenses on mine are plastic :cry:. Do they also come in glass? Mine appear to have a rubber/plastic hard coating on the back that make them water proof/non-rebuildable. Do they offer them as a screw together unit that could be rebuilt if the glass/plastic was broken?:-D

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
the lenses on mine are plastic :cry:. Do they also come in glass? Mine appear to have a rubber/plastic hard coating on the back that make them water proof/non-rebuildable. Do they offer them as a screw together unit that could be rebuilt if the glass/plastic was broken?:-D

No, plastic only
No, one piece, non-rebuildable
Also, there are two types of connectors, rubber shelled and plastic shelled. I think all CUCVs, unless modified, used the plastic shelled connectors.

chief1983

Sorry to necro this thread but it was the closest thing I could find to what I need. Seems to be conflicting info across this site and the wiki about the blackout lights. Cucv wiki specifically says the Chevy CUCVs have 24V blackouts and the M880 Dodge has 12V. The link previously posted looks the same as MILITARY M880 CUCV M1008 M1009 REAR BLACKOUT LIGHT 12V: eBay Motors (item 190415657893 end time Jul-15-10 18:00:00 PDT)

I need a new rear blackout for my M1009, but as best I can tell, this is a 12V and my truck would fry it. I haven't actually tested the diff between the power lead and the frame yet, plan on doing that anyway, but figured better clarification on the forums wouldn't hurt if the Wiki is correct.

The reason I have to replace mine is the the wire has been severed within 1/16" of the light housing, so there doesn't seem to be any way to reconnect the wire. Tips for that would also be nice.