• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Blanking and fill panels question

Ajax MD

Our M998 came in a cargo/troop configuration with blanking panels for the rear doors.

These blanking panels are the type that have the little access flap on the lower half that allows you to access the rear footwells from outside the vehicle. The truck did NOT come with the flip-down seatbacks that cover the footwells and I just scored a pair of the seatbacks for a good price.

Question: I noticed yesterday that the door blanks have a sort of ledge that protrudes into the rear footwells. Will the seatbacks fit over the footwells (in the folded down position) with these door blanks?

Ajax MD

Ok, next question:

What holds the seat backs down when they act as filler panels for the bed? I see that there is a small pin and cable that you can buy but that seems to retain the panels in the upright position as seat backs, not folded down.

I'm not seeing anywhere that holes in the panels line up with anything on the truck body to secure them when laying flat.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
on mine there are holes in the front, that crossmember everyone wants to remove behind the driver's seat.
Mine doesn't have the wire retainer part through them, but wouldn't be hard to add.

Action

Ok, next question:

What holds the seat backs down when they act as filler panels for the bed? I see that there is a small pin and cable that you can buy but that seems to retain the panels in the upright position as seat backs, not folded down.

I'm not seeing anywhere that holes in the panels line up with anything on the truck body to secure them when laying flat.
The wire with 2 clips is riveted to the side of the seat panel. The same DZUS fasteners hold the seat to the fender when upright, and to the bed when layed down. The clips go through different holes in the panel for each position. The part of the panel that is on the floor when upright, is the end that rest behind the front seat when down. There is a lip in the bed to hold the other end of panel to the fender.

Ajax MD

The wire with 2 clips is riveted to the side of the seat panel. The same DZUS fasteners hold the seat to the fender when upright, and to the bed when layed down. The clips go through different holes in the panel for each position. The part of the panel that is on the floor when upright, is the end that rest behind the front seat when down. There is a lip in the bed to hold the other end of panel to the fender.
I had to read this 3 times but I finally got what you're saying. I'm inserting the panels backwards when I put them down as bed filler panels. I'll flip them around and see what happens. I'm actually not certain that there are the necessary holes in the body for the DZUS fasteners. Maybe they'll become apparent when I have the panels in their proper orientation.

Iambiig

I had to read this 3 times but I finally got what you're saying. I'm inserting the panels backwards when I put them down as bed filler panels. I'll flip them around and see what happens. I'm actually not certain that there are the necessary holes in the body for the DZUS fasteners. Maybe they'll become apparent when I have the panels in their proper orientation.
Is there a special part number for the blanks with the hinges to make it an access panel? Or are these custom made?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks