• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Blasphemy - My modded M416 Off Road Trailer

dieselcruiserhead

Hi guys,
I know its a little blasphemous to cut up and modify these in these parts. I've kept it fairly original looking at least and am mostly just improving its functionality. I thought you would enjoy the thread and build. Here are a couple pics.
M416 Build - Expedition Portal Forum

Best,
Andre in Utah

Attachments

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I like the airbag suspension setup.

If it suits your purpose, it's not blasphemous. It looks like a professional modification job, to me. The independent suspension makes it perfect for offroading without the worry of hanging up on a rock.

papercu

Only thing left is the box and a little of the frame. As good as the rest was done building a new box couldn't have been that much more trouble. Wayne

rivired

i dont think your cargo is gonna appreciate the ride of the air bag suspension..so i think its kinda pointless..BUT if u had em laying around and had no use for them i guess its justifiable.

anyways tho..ur fabs do look great and like a shop would turn out.

dieselcruiserhead

Hi guys,

The point of the airbag and independent suspension is mostly for hauling ass on dirt roads and to negate the negative effects of a trailer. The idea is you sort of don't notice it there and at any speed and any type of terrain. We do a lot of long miles on dirt roads and off road trails all throughout Utah. That is sort of the point of the trailer. And a second point is to control ride height depending on load, but that is secondary. With traditional trailers and traditional axles (particularly trailer stock) they can bounce out and rattle around and really hop around. The idea of the independent is is sort of melds to the terrain and the trailer stays put, also allowing you to reach greater speeds if required.

Really I think I left the original trailer and box and much of it largely in tact. It is still very much a M416 trailer, it really just has things added to it (lid, tongue extension, and suspension). For better or for worse according to some. I agree that I could have possibly started from scratch, and it might not have been that bad a route to take.

Last edited:

SasquatchSanta

Hi guys,
I know its a little blasphemous to cut up and modify these in these parts. I've kept it fairly original looking at least and am mostly just improving its functionality. I thought you would enjoy the thread and build. Here are a couple pics.
M416 Build - Expedition Portal Forum

Best,
Andre in Utah
Andre --- Looks like a well thought out project. You shouldn't have to apologise to anyone for work like that! I wish I had one just like it. What color are you going to paint it?

Sumoman

Looks Good. I plan on taking my M101 apart and turning it into a bug out camping trailer. I already have the steel and propane tanks needed for all of it, and am now purchasing the truck-top tent and other items to be installed. I love the idea of these trailers being used for something other then a parade tow behind. I hope to have a set up you can park and live in 4 season.

Nick

Im going to do the same with my M101, however leaving it mostly as is. So im getting some good ideas from your project.

Im going to just use the cargo cover, gates and bows as the tent cover. But i was wondering about other camping realted stuff and how and where to put it all. But since I want to use it as a functional trailer to tow behind my Power Wagon, its not a dedicated camping trailer

With nothing done other than cargo cover, gates and bows, the Power Wagon Rally in Hollister next month will be the first test, and I will see what I want and get some ideas from actual use before I do anything to it.

Thanks for the thread link, Im gonna go back and read it all for ideas.

Nick

Last edited:

dieselcruiserhead

Andre --- Looks like a well thought out project. You shouldn't have to apologise to anyone for work like that! I wish I had one just like it. What color are you going to paint it?
Thanks and appreciated...

I have some tan Zerorust paint that uses the same base chemicals as bed liner but sprays nice and strong and is very rust prohibitive. I''ve read several times lately that it's actually what the MSMC is using these days which I think is killer. It will be a combo of black fenders and tan body both of which will be zero rust. It will fad a little related to UV but that is OK as it'll be a "working trailer..."

Sumoman

Im going to do the same with my M101, however leaving it mostly as is. So im getting some good ideas from your project.

Im going to just use the cargo cover, gates and bows as the tent cover. But i was wondering about other camping realted stuff and how and where to put it all. But since I want to use it as a functional trailer to tow behind my Power Wagon, its not a dedicated camping trailer

Nick
You may want to just find scrap then. A old BBQ can be modified fairly easy to sit on the front with the propane, mod a simple swing piece to mount it on with a leg similar to the rear of the 101, then all you have to do is swing it out to cook, take it off when not camping. I have simplified the H20 issue by just having 55 gallons on hand, and bought a MINI purifier that I use when hiking just in case I run out. I saw one with a powered filter unit but for my needs it was a bit much. The tents can also be made as removable pieces if you have a place to store it. Basically it will sit on top of the bow racks. Very easy to do. If you plan on using the tarp you might just consider building a simple raised bed.. will keep the heat in a smaller space, and provide room to store your gear under.

dieselcruiserhead

Looks Good. I plan on taking my M101 apart and turning it into a bug out camping trailer. I already have the steel and propane tanks needed for all of it, and am now purchasing the truck-top tent and other items to be installed. I love the idea of these trailers being used for something other then a parade tow behind. I hope to have a set up you can park and live in 4 season.

With nothing done other than cargo cover, gates and bows, the Power Wagon Rally in Hollister next month will be the first test, and I will see what I want and get some ideas from actual use before I do anything to it.

Thanks for the thread link, Im gonna go back and read it all for ideas.

Nick
Very cool both of you guys. I owned a M116A1 flatbed that I absolutely loved (same platform as the M101 as you guys probably know). Truthfully I always wanted a M101 instead with the sides at the time... In general it was just a hair wide for my application (older, narrow Cummins powered Land Cruiser wagon), and it was a hair heavy. But otherwise it wheeled really well and I loved it... For Wayne - fear not, I left that one pretty original. Attached pics show it in use and how I found it... I looked really hard into building this one as well. It was going to be a 4 season I could live in as well Sumoman probably using the cover, as its size was nice. I had a lot of ideas but truthfully I forgot most of them.

You may want to check out this thread which is a killer 4 season offroad tear drop if you go for a more permanent route. The "Off Road 'Kinda-Sorta' Teardrop" build. - Expedition Portal Forum
I'll have to look but I've seen a bunch of M116 or M101 builds with roof top tents as well. But again if I had your guys vehicles I would probably just be in the trailer and make it a little house :)

Nick also very cool... Sounds like a fun app as well and probably what I would have done with the M116 assuming I kept it. I **love** old power wagons as well, a few times I've been really close to buying one. I'm sure you all know Paul in Upstate New York who puts in the Cummins 4BTs in mil and civilian power wagons. He does everything (and then some) I'd ever want to do with a M37 or one of the carryalls. He is a regular on my board 4BTswaps.com

Thanks guys and cheers!

Attachments

tm america

nice air bag suspension like the independent to just wonder how strong it is with the way the axle part is extending guess you could add a triangular piece to brace the control arms if you find they are flexing.but i like it good job

Nick

Truthfully I always wanted a M101 instead with the sides at the time... In general it was just a hair wide for my application (older, narrow Cummins powered Land Cruiser wagon), and it was a hair heavy. But otherwise it wheeled really well and I loved it...

Nick also very cool... Sounds like a fun app as well and probably what I would have done with the M116 assuming I kept it. I **love** old power wagons as well, a few times I've been really close to buying one. I'm sure you all know Paul in Upstate New York who puts in the Cummins 4BTs in mil and civilian power wagons. He does everything (and then some) I'd ever want to do with a M37 or one of the carryalls. He is a regular on my board 4BTswaps.com

I loved the 101 the first time I saw it. and the size is just right so far for hauling stuff, and from what I can tell so far, the air mattress I have. Still have room for stuff and the mattress so I dont hafta completely unload it to sleep.

But then when I come home, I can use it for a load of rock or sand, or railroad ties.

It pulls great behind my Dodge Dakota but will be a full time behind my PW since I wont wanna screw up the wood bed in that.

Like what youve done, keep us updated for more stuff you do to it.

Nick

Rustmaster

I love it. I want to do the same thing, but i have a 48 Bantam jeep trailer with a factory tailgate and don't have the heart to cut on it. I should trade it to a jeep guy and see if i can get two military trailers.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks