• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Blew a head gasket

mikev

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok got it got together today. Took a lot of cranking to reprime but once it did fire right up! Mikev to answer your question, no I don't think the head gasket blew, some of the head bolts felt very easy to loosen so I think some of them stretched causing the head to lift of the block.
Also got my charging system operating perfectly found a couple of wires that were bad! The trans is also working great, shifts smoothly and with that low stall converter, and low first gear I can actually do a short wheel spin! I took it up to 75 mph and still could have kept going, having overdrive is so nice!

Glad to hear you got it running Iceman!

Thanks for answering my question - after 11 years of owning my '86 M1009 with 54K on it (now), I was wondering if a head gasket job was/is in my "future"...

Sounds like I need to pull my valve covers and check the head bolt torque on mine too...

BTW: My 09 is bone (military) stock and I drive it like I "stole it" from the motor pool, meaning 80 mph all the time and I've had it 95 mph WOT a couple of times...

:grin:

rickf

Why are all of your pictures blue??? Sorry, it has just been bugging me and I didn't want to ask until the project was done.:roll:

Rick

jwaller

would you mind posting the part number of the arp studs. I am putting my 6.5 together and I'd like to use them.
Did you go back with stock head gaskets?

Iceman3005

ARP Head Studs 130-4062. No I used felt/steel head gaskets, they have a better seal and a small ring around each cylinder for turbo applications so the gasket won't blow out. I used Fel-Pro FMC-260-1315. Not sure on the miles, the truck has 74,000 on it but the motor had fresh paint and a rebuild sticker on it, I think it only had maybe 10,000 on the motor. Looks to me like they used the old head bolts.

Iceman3005

Update: just had a freeze plug on the head start to leak so had too take intake back off remove the freeze plug, went too auto store and got a new one but don't have time too install tonight. Its the little tiny one on the head 7/16 of an inch, a pain to get out.