• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Blew out my T136-27

Capriceii

Friday evening, on a return run from Ashland, Ohio, just as I was getting on 71 North, while shifting into second, I hear a horrendous grinding noise under my truck. After 20 min of checking and trouble shooting I found that the sound was coming from the transfer case. After a closer inspection, it looks as if all the oil had leaked out of the transfer case :cry:aua. Sound was coming from the bearing for the front drive shaft.

So we called a tow:recovry4x4:. 67 Miles and $819.00 later we crept her into her spot in the driveway.

Now the real questions:

Do I rebuild the transfer case I ran dry? or do I just replace with a rebuilt/pullout unit?

If I replace, pullout vs rebuilt?

Where in Northeast Ohio can I find either a Pullout or Rebuilt T136-27?

Current pricing I am seeing is from $850 - $1100 is that the going price these days?

Has anyone seen any on Government Liquidation as of late?

Thanks everyone for your assistance!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It might be worth a look inside but it would be easier to swap out now and rebuild as a spare. In northeast OH you have Adelman's in Canton and Sam Winer motors in Akron. Both likely have takouts and/or remans in stock.

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Friday evening, on a return run from Ashland, Ohio, just as I was getting on 71 North, while shifting into second, I hear a horrendous grinding noise under my truck. After 20 min of checking and trouble shooting I found that the sound was coming from the transfer case. After a closer inspection, it looks as if all the oil had leaked out of the transfer case :cry:aua. Sound was coming from the bearing for the front drive shaft.

So we called a tow:recovry4x4:. 67 Miles and $819.00 later we crept her into her spot in the driveway.

Now the real questions:

Do I rebuild the transfer case I ran dry? or do I just replace with a rebuilt/pullout unit?

If I replace, pullout vs rebuilt?

Where in Northeast Ohio can I find either a Pullout or Rebuilt T136-27?

Current pricing I am seeing is from $850 - $1100 is that the going price these days?

Has anyone seen any on Government Liquidation as of late?

Thanks everyone for your assistance!

Contact Robert at Sam Winers. www.samwinermotors.com

or contact http://www.adelmans.com/

https://nationalstocknumber.info/national-stock-number/2520-00-089-8287

Last edited:

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Forum user "red" has a take out transfer case available, but it's located just north of Salt Lake City, UT.

blisters13

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would not rebuild the "dry" t-case; there is a bucket-full of bearings in it.

I just rebuilt mine three months ago; the original part number bearings are very scarce; I was not able to buy every one for a complete rebuild.

If you go with a running take-out, you might consider replacing the shaft seals, the speedo cable connector o-ring, and check the shaft preload bearing clearances (shim as necessary).

This is a good, related thread:
https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showt...al-replacing&p=2047581&highlight=#post2047581

-Ken

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks