• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Blinker & high beam indicator issue

Lazboytt

Hello,

I just purchased a 93 M998 and have a couple of issues. Hope someone might be able to point me in the right direction.

High beam indicator comes on with lights on no matter if its high beam or low beam the light is on on the dash.

2 nd issue is the right blinker. When I turn on the right blinker the front works fine but the rear both blink left and right. I also noticed when the right blinker is on and you step on the break the blinker light on the dash stops. Somehow it seems like the right blinker when turned on it’s tied into the break light possibly.
Left blinker works no issues.

Any ideas where to look 1st

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cwajciec

Check the body grounds and the ground contact at each light. It is possible to backfeed other lights that are not grounded well. This used to happen to my boat trailer because of bad grounds.

gcbennet

Grounds, grounds, grounds. The majority of electrical issues on this truck can be solved by making sure the grounds are clean and in good repair. If the problem persists, use the troubleshooting guide and a multi-meter to isolate the hiccup. When turn signals go afoul it's usually the box or the selector switch itself.

gtodan

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What everyone said. The ground location on the rear tail lights are located on the back of the tail light pods. Not ideal as they are subject to everything the rear wheels decide to fling up ward. Also check and become familiar with the bulb fixtures and wiring inside the rear pods. It is unique setup. Checking all your grounds should be part of your initial vehicle assessment. You will learn a lot about your vehicle as you do it.

Invest in an inexpensive multi meter. Invaluable tool.

If you don't have a creeper, invest in a good one. It makes working/inspecting the undercarriage of your vehicle sooo much easier. It is almost fun:wink:

Last edited:

jeffy777

I had a similar issue. It was the ground and the contacts. Clean the contacts well. Hooking up a ground where the contacts are also bad makes things not go well. I poked stuff with my meter and things looked ok bu I poked until it was ok. Put some dielectric grease on the contacts to prevent it from being corroded again in the future. Just my two cents.

Lazboytt

I had a similar issue. It was the ground and the contacts. Clean the contacts well. Hooking up a ground where the contacts are also bad makes things not go well. I poked stuff with my meter and things looked ok bu I poked until it was ok. Put some dielectric grease on the contacts to prevent it from being corroded again in the future. Just my two cents.
Thank you I will give it a shot

Lazboytt

So I found out the problem with the blinker. It had nothing to do with the grounds but it was the blinker switch. I opened up the blinker switch and bent the metal prongs further away from the contacts and now all my blinkers work perfect.

The next step is to figure out highbeam low beam indicator. I’m wondering if the foot switch could by chance still be making contact enough to keep the highbeam low beam indicator light

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Check your headlight bulb connections, maybe one side is different than the other?

Lazboytt

If that doesn't work this might help.
I was thinking that also but the numbers on the wires match up. The high and low lights work it’s just the high beam indicator. Somehow it’s getting constant power. I might check the foot switch tomorrow first

Lazboytt

So I figured out the problem with the headlights. The wiring in the engine compartment on the lights was correct however when you pull the headlight bulbs out they had the wires plugged into the wrong spots. There is no markings on the headlight bulbs as to which connects to what so I just tried to look inside the lightbulb and could see which side was the ground connection and move the wires accordingly and now everything works perfectly.

Action

So I figured out the problem with the headlights. The wiring in the engine compartment on the lights was correct however when you pull the headlight bulbs out they had the wires plugged into the wrong spots. There is no markings on the headlight bulbs as to which connects to what so I just tried to look inside the lightbulb and could see which side was the ground connection and move the wires accordingly and now everything works perfectly.

You should have 3 wires attached to the back of each headlamp. Each wire will have a metal tag with a number stamped on it. Match the numbers up. If you don't have 3 wires as part of the light, you may have the wrong light in there. I didn't know the wires pull off, if they do.

Lazboytt

You should have 3 wires attached to the back of each headlamp. Each wire will have a metal tag with a number stamped on it. Match the numbers up. If you don't have 3 wires as part of the light, you may have the wrong light in there. I didn't know the wires pull off, if they do.
Someone replaced the lights and added adapter for normal lights which caused the issue

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks