• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Blinker not blinking

Dmaxcc6spd

I just installed LED front turn signals and not the lights do not flash. I also installed the LED rear stop/lights last year. Everything worked fine before I switched the front turn signals. The lights turn on steady when I flip the turn signal - just no blink. I triple checked my connections. I have heard that in some cases the LED's do not offer enough electrical resistance to make the flasher work properly.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Artisan

Yep, when I bought my Isuzu we put LED's in the rear and there were issues.
Take out the LED's and put back in the OE and see what happens.

MtnSnow

Yes it can happen with the older flasher units. Also make sure your grounds are good at the lights as well as the flasher

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
You need the newer style flasher. The older style will flash led rears but not led front signals. They are widely available online and easy to install.

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think I have the new style flasher. Can someone confirm the part number of the new flasher?
The electronic solid state flashers (newer style) have cooling fins on the outside of the housing. There are a couple of different versions. The older thermal flashers, from the couple that I have seen, have smooth sides without the cooling fins.

Take a look at my posts in the thread below and take note of what I mention about the indicator bulb.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...ry-LED-Taillights-not-flashing-MRAP-take-offs

Also, what vehicle are we talking about?

Dmaxcc6spd

The electronic solid state flashers (newer style) have cooling fins on the outside of the housing. There are a couple of different versions. The older thermal flashers, from the couple that I have seen, have smooth sides without the cooling fins.

Take a look at my posts in the thread below and take note of what I mention about the indicator bulb.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...ry-LED-Taillights-not-flashing-MRAP-take-offs

Also, what vehicle are we talking about?

The truck is an M923A1.

Based on the link in the above post, it sounds like the light under the green disk on the turn signal also need to be converted for proper functionality. Seems odd, but i am willing to try (When the weather is warmer)

74M35A2

You don't need a newer style flasher, even though that should also resolve it. If you take out the indicating bulb in your old flasher, it should all work fine. From there, if you then substitute an LED indicator bulb, it should also work, and so will the indicator. It is a resistance thing.

Thank SS member WildChild467 for this. He can also tell you what he runs for an LED indicator bulb and where he gets them from. He went through exactly this just a couple of months ago, with the same results. It is common. Thanks to others who also have historically pointed this out, such as Swamp Donkey.

Last edited:

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The truck is an M923A1.

Based on the link in the above post, it sounds like the light under the green disk on the turn signal also need to be converted for proper functionality. Seems odd, but i am willing to try (When the weather is warmer)
No need for a replacement yet. The test is simply removing the indicator bulb. If the blinkers work, then that bulb needs to be replaced with an LED bulb. If the blinkers do not work, then you need to continue trouble shooting. Pop the green lens, pull the bulb and try the blinkers...that's the test. It takes all of 10 seconds...warmth not necessary.

Report back with the results and as 74M35A2 stated, the replacement LED bulb is readily available.

Dmaxcc6spd

As soon as I can coordinate a warm day and proper motivation, I'll reinstall the LED front lights and remove the bulb from the turn signal lever and post results.

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The LED Bulb I bought for my turn signal indicator is from www.superbrightleds.com

The part number for the bulb I have in my truck now is exactly (relatively speaking) the same brightness as an original bulb. The part number of this bulb is: Part Number: BA9SF-G-28VAC

I bought another bulb (from the same website) before that one listed above and it was a lot brighter.
It definitely got your attention during the day and at night it was at the brightness where you do not want to look directly at it. It was borderline too bright.
This would be the bulb you would want to get if you forget to turn your turn signals off because it is the most noticeable.
The part number of this bulb is: Part Number: BA9S-G4-32-28VAC

I have been very happy with the quality and customer service from superbrightleds.com. I have never had one of their products fail on me. The prices are reasonable and I love how technical they are with the specifications of their products.

Last edited:

FullSpecial

I had a similar problem, it was interfering with the operation of the homemade 12v inverter box I made for civi trailers.
My solution was to open up the turn signal switch and separately ground the indicator bulb:

WP_20141005_13_34_36_Pro[2].jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks