• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

blinker not blinking.

Jones

Old advice but still a place to start. Check all your grounds; flasher controller body, wiring harness ground pigtail. bulbs and tail and front turn signal housings. Make sure you're getting power into the unit to start with; a bad harness that doesn't let the controller know when it's time to go to work is always a possible. My experience is that the controllers either work or they don't. Another consideration is a bad contact in the turn signal unit on the steering column. If you have another, swap it out and see if it makes a difference.

houdel

I had a similar problem - here are a few suggestions:

1. Ground the turn signal switch housing. It will NOT work if it doesn't have a good ground. Run a ground wire from the housing to the steering column if needed.

2. Play with your headlamp switch. Turn signals will not work if you don't have stop lights or drive lights on. My signals occasionally don't work in the "stop light" position, if I wiggle the lever a bit they come on. My headlamp switch is a little sensitive to the lever position.

3. If the turn signal indicator light turns on but doesn't flash when you switch on the turn signals, you the flasher module might be going bad and need replacement. Try running a good ground wire to the flasher module first, that might solve the problem.

jwaller

houdel said:
3. If the turn signal indicator light turns on but doesn't flash when you switch on the turn signals, you the flasher module might be going bad and need replacement. Try running a good ground wire to the flasher module first, that might solve the problem.
this what mine is doing exactly. where is this module? is this the one that is bolted ot the inner fender? I dont have any extra parts to swap as this is my only MV.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In the picture above, make sure that the washer (8 ) is an internal/external tooth washer so that it penetrates the paint. The ring terminal (3) of the flasher circuit must be at a good ground for it to work.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If any of you guys are on Bjorns Christmas list, I'll tell you a secret. Expect paint piercing washers for presents. No one pushes the use of these in bolting electronics more that Bjorn and it's rightfully so. Listen to the man, he knows electronics.

houdel

Bjorn - Another nice avatar!

Jim, Ken - I've been bitten by the ungrounded ground bug so many times my SOP when dealing with electrical components is to chuck a wire brush in my cordless drill, buff the ground ring terminal & metal it attaches to down to bright metal, coat both well with conductive grease (NOT dielectric grease as many often state in error, dielectric is an insulator) and then assemble. Gotta get a good supply of those internal/external toothed washers though.

Actually, I use copper filled anti-sieze compound for my conductive grease, excellent at preventing corrosion and the copper filling has to help electrical conductivity. I used to use silicon grease, but if you accidentally get even the tiniest amount on a part you are going to paint later, the paint will not stick unless you go through some heroic part cleaning!

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
An additional note on the grounding business.

The teeth of the "star" washer bites into the metal to form a so called "gas tight" connection. You are looking for an uncontaminated metal to metal connection. The star washer will cut thru the paint and no extra coating is needed. The washer must be hardened and cad coated (image).

If the surface is cleaned to bare metal, install the electrical terminal, washer and bolt and tighten to spec. Only after that is done should a protective coat be applied.
The pressure will deform the electrical terminal and form a gas tight connection.

Another example of a gas tight connection is a crimp connection.
A gas tight connection will last for decades when performed correctly.

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Now that explains it. I tried using the dremel to open up one of these washers. Stuff was almost inpossible to cut with a carbide cutter. Learned another thing today Bjorn.

houdel

Awesome, but where do you find those hardened star washers? Obviously, not in your everyday hardware or auto parts store!

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The washers usually come with NOS radio mounting kits. Kenny has supplied me with a few (he is my source for special parts :)). McMasters may carry them, but I'm not sure about the hardened part, though.

If the flasher has failed, which is very possible since the new ones are certifiable POS's, let us know and I'll post a diagram with a relay added to protect the flasher.

rwelker

non-blinking blinker

I had the same problem with my Deuce dump which I use on a regular basis. Cleaned grounds and still intermittant. Sometimes would blink for a while then stop. The truck is a functional one, not restored to 100% and I needed reliability. I went to NAPA and asked for a 24 volt relay type flasher. About 16 bucks and my probems are ended. It now flashes each and every time and handles my trailer lights without problem.

houdel

I still had an intermittant problem with my flashers not working, sometimes they'd work, sometimes they wouldn't, then after driving a few miles they'd magically start working again, so I rechecked the grounds. Looked at the flasher module on the fender again - yup, ground lead there, double toothed washer between the ring terminal and flasher module - hang on a minute - the flasher module is PLASTIC! My ground wire is attached to a piece of plastic? DUH! What am I missing here? A good ground connection, that's what!

OK, I know the attaching bolt goes through the fender and there's another double toothed washer on the other side of the fender, but that's a rather circuitous route (pun intended) for a good ground connection. So I made up a short jumper wire with a ring terminal at each end, hooked one end up at the existing ground on the flasher module (harness ground ring terminal, double toothed washer, jumper wire ring terminal, all secured with the existing bolt & nut) and ran the other end of the jumper to another existing bolt & double toothed washer on the fender, but now the jumper wire is connected to a STEEL part, not plastic! So far no problems!

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
houdel said:
Awesome, but where do you find those hardened star washers? Obviously, not in your everyday hardware or auto parts store!
I'm still looking for these washers, seems like every new suggestion for a supplier is a dead end.

Some part numbers, MS45904-68, MS45904-72 and MX45904-76 for 1/4. 5/16 and 3/8 inch respectively. 7/16 inch may be MS45904-80 and MS45904-84 for 1/2 inch.
Maybe parts that Devilman could stock. :wink:

steelandcanvas

Protectant

In the electrical industry, we use a product called No-alox or Penetrox. It is a conductive protectant used to keep electrical terminals and connections from oxidizing. Sometimes a larger Home Depot will have this product, best bet would be an electrical wholesale house. Good stuff, I've used it quite often away from work...vehicles, marine, outside, etc.

acetomatoco

RE: Protectant

I have a gazillion of the washers, but you have to buy a radio installation kit to get em... Secondly, you can ground the flasher all you want, but if the fender is not grounded to the frame... nuffin will work... so... make sure you run a jumper to the frame from the cab and the fender...and use the Bjorn rule....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks