• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

block cab air springs when offroading?

Plasa

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello forum.
Do you suggest to block the air ride system when doing heavy offroad, like on steep hills / dunes? What else you would do when crossing a sandy desert zone, except air pressure and 4wd mode engaged?

Christian

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Hello forum.
Do you suggest to block the air ride system when doing heavy offroad, like on steep hills / dunes? What else you would do when crossing a sandy desert zone, except air pressure and 4wd mode engaged?

Christian
Air Ride switch to the off position might be good.
You could also lock the cab in the down position at the air bags.

I would think that the TM would have instructions in the "-10" but I couldn't swear to that.

coachgeo

Seem to recall TM's say pinned in when off road..... while discussions in the FMTV forum on this topic tends to say unpinned off road for comfort. IMHO that would be true except maybe in the realm you hit on.... where a flick of cab to one side ....... say as you crest a dune at a slight angle instead of nose straight down... that cab shift might be the slight extra inertia needed to make you roll. So maybe call it.... the dicier things are getting... pin it. As in if you feel so nervous you get out and really inspect the angles and twist-ies before proceeding..... then pin them. Heck your out anyway so no big deal. When it is just ruff terrain, but not "dicey" then unpinned likely fine. YMMV

that of course is IMHO.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Seem to recall TM's say pinned in when off road..... while discussions in the FMTV forum on this topic tends to say unpinned off road for comfort. IMHO that would be true except maybe in the realm you hit on.... where a flick of cab to one side ....... say as you crest a dune at a slight angle instead of nose straight down... that cab shift might be the slight extra inertia needed to make you roll. So maybe call it.... the dicier things are getting... pin it. As in if you feel so nervous you get out and really inspect the angles and twist-ies before proceeding..... then pin them. Heck your out anyway so no big deal. When it is just ruff terrain, but not "dicey" then unpinned likely fine. YMMV

that of course is IMHO.
Nicely said @coachgeo !

Ronmar

The cab shouldnt move side to side... if it can, it will still do so when pinned...

If the cab could move enough vertically(limited to about 1.9" total travel) to push you over the edge, you have already imparted all the energy necessary to rollover anyway...

The only ref I recall is to deflate it and pin it for shipment...

I see no issue running it driving under any condition... From normal ride height it only moves ~ +/- 0.95".

Last edited:

ramdough

The cab shouldnt move side to side... if it can, it will still do so when pinned...

If the cab could move enough vertically(limited to about 1.9" total travel) to push you over the edge, you have already imparted all the energy necessary to rollover anyway...

The only ref I recall is to deflate it and pin it for shipment...

I see no issue running it driving under any condition... From normal ride height it only moves ~ +/- 0.95".
I agree, the inertia of the cab moving an inch is not going to make the difference. If you flop, that was going to happen anyway. I would think having the compliance and shock absorption would be better for your truck when off-road compared to a pin in a “thin” piece of metal. Your best scenario is good working bushings, airbags, and shocks.

Just my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks