• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Block Crack Options

adf5565

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As part of my turbo build I performed an inspection of the lower end of my block. It turns out I have I believe 3 cracks in the main bearing webs. All 3 are facing the rear of the motor on the outer bolts, 1 is on the 3rd from the front (middle) web, while the other 2 are both on the 4th. None of the cracks appear to penetrate to the opposite side of the web.

I was originally planning on replacing the cap bolts and adding ARP main studs, but what would be the best course of action now? Still add the studs? Add the studs and a DSG girdle? Just the girdle? Or just leave as is and hope for the best?

Here are the pics of each of the cracks. One is more pronounced than the other two.

26F9922A-0544-4CD8-B5E1-915E2253D28E.jpegC1F69800-7266-4BB9-8A10-48B6D3F7430B.jpegB5CBEABD-BE4E-4125-8467-66CD7E9F785E.jpeg

Last edited:

MarkM

CODE BROWN...It's all going to sh~t !
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Those are just the cracks you can see. I would find another block and start fresh. Just my .02 cents.

Mark

87cr250r

Lock-N-Stitch has a repair kit for these engines. You'll need to dye pen the cracks to evaluate the severity. I retired my 6.2 block because of this cracking. After sitting out in the rain the rust shows the extent of the cracks. One nearly crossed the main bearing oil passage.

PXL_20230326_220106174.jpg

adf5565

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd love to get a 6.5 Optimizer but that's alot of coin to spend. Does anyone have a confirmed crack free block? Used motors aren't exactly cheap right now and most likely have the same crack issues that I have now so I feel like its playing the lottery spending $1k-2k for something that's probably in the same situation I'm in now. At least for the ones I've found sellers don't seem very receptive to pulling the oil pan and performing a thorough inspection prior to selling either.

The reason I asked about potential stopgap solutions is that these cracks have probably been present for a long time and it still runs fine so I am curious if there is an option that would help prevent the situation from getting worse. I'm not performing any other lower end work and not going to add any more money to this block so if one day something gives I'll invest in a better solution.

87cr250r

Yes, the option is to install Lock-N-Stitch inserts

Some recommend using 10mm Inserts and and replace the outer bolts with the 10mm bolts from a 2001+ engine. The cap remains the same.

adf5565

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Some recommend using 10mm Inserts and and replace the outer bolts with the 10mm bolts from a 2001+ engine. The cap remains the same.
Interesting, what would install be like for those?

MarkM

CODE BROWN...It's all going to sh~t !
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've seen some of these stitching repairs and it is strong, permanent and frankly amazing what can be repaired but it is costly. A good block is relatively inexpensive and the issue is put to bed fast.

Mark

adf5565

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've seen some of these stitching repairs and it is strong, permanent and frankly amazing what can be repaired but it is costly. A good block is relatively inexpensive and the issue is put to bed fast.

Mark
Any ideas where to find a good block? The typical places I go to buy used parts would be an unknown on condition.

87cr250r

Keep in mind that the Lock N Stitch kit for the 6.2/6.5 block does not involve metal stitching. The crack does not get repaired but is stabilized with the insert instead. Obviously the engine runs fine with the crack so there is no need to repair them. The labor to install the inserts is minimal. The trick is finding a shop with the kit as the kit itself is probably $400+. I've helicoiled main bearings on a 350 Chevy with a hand drill. If you're enterprising you can do this repair yourself with the engine in the truck. The bolts aren't aligning the main caps so they're pretty loose on their tolerances.

nyoffroad

To me that kit looks like it's more of a thread repair (Heli-coil) kit. If your worried about the bolt getting ripped out of the block then that kit might work, as for repairing a crack, no.

adf5565

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So I ended up bringing this to resolution. If I did it over again i would’ve done it differently but such is life I guess. I initially went down the path of looking for a crack free block and did end up finding one. Only problem then was finding a place that had availability to rebuild it. I don’t have all of the tools/knowledge/time to currently do that on my own, and the places around me that I called all were back up towards the end of July, which I can’t be without the truck that long.

In hindsight I should’ve just kept the bottom of my block as is since I’m still going to rebuild the different block, but I decided to purchase and install the lock n stitch inserts as well as ARP studs in my current one as well. The process of install wasn’t terrible but still a pain and fairly costly especially when I think that ideally I’ll only be running this one until next winter.

I had a buddy machine me a drill plate and I got a drill bushing to help keep the drill straight, and essentially just drill out the hole, tap, and install the insert. These inserts are really cool, the thread design is such that instead of spreading a hole, the threads actually pull the material closer to the insert and are supposed to make it stronger than it was new.

Then installed the main studs and tightened everything to spec.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks