• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

block heater boiler

100acre

How long in advance should my block heater in my 1008 be plugged in before starting her up ? Last time I left it in all night the coolant was near boiling and there was coolant on the floor as well. She sprang a leak.

dependable

What is wattage of your block heater? Some of the tank types are pretty fast. I have found that an hour or so makes a big difference with any of them. If it is below 15f a couple hours is better. In arctic temps all night is probably good. Block heater should not cause any leak that wouldn't have eventually happened at working temp. One reason not to leave on over night is that they spin the electric meter pretty well($). I have outlets in parking area switched from inside so I can plug in at night and switch on in morning.

Last edited:

BIG_RED

I usually leave both of mine on all night (2x 600watt in-block frost plug heaters - 1200 watts total) in the winter(-40* sometimes). If it's close to freezing temp (32*F) - i only run one (600 watts). Electricity is relatively cheap here ($0.06/KWH), and I need the truck. You should not be able to "overheat" your engine with a 600W heater.. It's an awful big chunk of metal with 4 gallons of water in it, and once the water heats up real hot, it should open the t-stat and convection would run the water through the rad (keeping it around operating temp). Sounds like something is very wrong. Unless you're block heating in the summer or something (I did that once when my glowplugs fried. Got hot enough to start, but nowhere near overheating, with 1200W worth of heat).

boondock

As has been mentioned the tank type heaters work pretty quickly. At zero degrees my m1031 is good to go after about 1.5 hours.
Using a timer that fires up the heater before your usual startup time cuts down the electric usage compared to having the heater run all night.

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
On a 6.2 if you have a 1500 watt heater I would go 1/2 hour if under 10 degrees, 600 watt an hour. I have left mine plugged in all night and have never had a problem, knock on wood. Auto zone has a 300 watt heater that I feel could be plugged in all night and your good and toasty. Probably cost a dollar to do so.

DonK

Can you add a thermostat? I put in a 1800 watt that has a thermostat, on at 80 degrees off at 100...Works very well connected at the output of the Heater core...

ODFever

Madness Takes Its Toll...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
DonK:

I'm interested in the heater with the thermostat that you installed. Could you please post the make, part number, and where you got it?

Thanks!

biggestc69

I have a 1500 watt Kats tank heater. Thing works great. Use an outdoor timer to start it about an hour and a half before I go to work. We have had a few single digit mornings here and she fires right off after the glow plugs get done cycling.

DonK

DonK:

I'm interested in the heater with the thermostat that you installed. Could you please post the make, part number, and where you got it?

Thanks!
OD,
It's a 1500watt Kim Hot Start, P/N-326228. I've have it for quite sometime. You may be able to get one from NAPA, not sure. If not, check with your location Generator Service Company, that's what this was intended for.
Follow the instructions that come with it you should be good to go...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks