• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

block heater for a deuce?

rattlecan6104

Are they even needed for temps that rarely go as low as about 10 degrees F? Are there any that are made for the multifuel engines, or does something have to be "frankensteined" together?

Stonewall

I may be missing something, but when I follow the link in the above thread, I do not get to a post with the information I am looking for. I have searched quite a bit, and have see a lot of comments about heater (block, oil, convection, flame, etc). I think that I want to go with a block heater for my M35 with the Herculies multi fuel engine. I would love some help from someone who has put a block heater in one of these. Which freeze plugs to use and what heater.

jwaller

I just found this info from ernies post on 40 below deuce

" Car Quest part number 78266HTR. In case there is any confusion, the heaters I'm using were originally for a 1987 Jeep 6cyl."

electric freeze plug block heater

gsomersjr

If the Jeep application works then the NAPA part # is 605-3043. It's designed for a freeze plug location and is 2" in diameter. Its 600 watts. It's made by Pyroil.

I put one in my M35A2, 1972 AM General with a LDT 465 "D" Hercules a couple of years ago. I got it from Memphis Truck and Equipment and it is I believe 1800 watts!! I had a shop that works on large trucks and they put it in the passenger side of the engine and had to do a modification on one of the lines and rerouted it. The heater didn,t cost no $80. I live in Montana and when it was -40 below the engine which is a 1987 started up the first time I tried it!! It has never failed me. If you can wait until i get back to Montana around March 28 E-mail me and I will send you pictures of the installation and other info. Hope this helps:idea::grin:l

No.2Diesel

I installed a Zero Start (Zero Start part No. 3500025) 1,000 Watt 2" freeze plug block heater on my Deuce a year ago and it works great. Its located on the rear most freeze plug on the passenger side. My truck is stored outdoors and in the wind. Even so, when its 10°-20°F outside the entire block & radiator are very warm to the touch (guessing 70°-80°F) It takes about 3-4hrs. to get heat everything to this max. temp. but you may only need 1-2hrs if your in a hurry. I put a timer on the outlet I use to plug into so as not to waste $.

Magnetic heaters are worthless

Attachments

Last edited:

jim-m35a2

Are they even needed for temps that rarely go as low as about 10 degrees F? Are there any that are made for the multifuel engines, or does something have to be "frankensteined" together?
My Deuce started using the flame heater when it was 9 degrees without much cranking. Had to let it run for ever to get to 120 degrees but it started.

Jim
________
Www.Starcraftreplays.Net

Last edited:
Stonewall, I will be home in 2 weeks! I will send you some good pictures and other information on the block heater. The block heater is the only way to go where we live. Also the truck I got came from Alaska and had a round double 6" by 12" cylinder hooked to the coolant system and the hot air was ducted to the bottom of the battery box. i was stationed in Alaska and ordered parts for trucks and planes. Army Aviation!! 19th Avn Bn 1965-1969. Hope this helps:idea:

70deuce

An effective block heater on a diesel will save alot of wear and tear on the starter. On my 5 ton Cummins, the block heater on a timer to come on about four hours before use lets that thing fire right up after a night around 10 degrees without the cold start aid. For my deuce I use a poor man's heater which is two of those clamp-on reflector lights that I had laying around. I rest them against the intake side side of the motor near the valve covers. They are not the greatest and I wouildn't call them a "effective" block heater by any means but they do warm the top of the head pretty good allowing it to fire up quickly in real cold weather. I use the timer on them also.

70deuce

Here is a picture of the lights. You have to prop the hood up slightly with the lights in this location. You can put them on the injector side of the motor and can close the hood. They heat better where they are shown in the picture. You probably could just lay a couple of bulbs up in there in just light sockets also.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks