• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Block heater

NV555

My 1009 came with one. I have one on my HMMWV also well worth the time and expense.

Freeze plug type zero start.

also has made a huge difference with my LMTV 1083 with the 3116. Cold starts and cranking make it look as the house was on fire from all the smoke. I guess the either is okay with the cat but would rather use the block heater.

since the 1009 does not have an either start built in and the debate on not using either then I say block heater or inline.

Seen light bulbs, heating pads, electric blankets even wood fire under the engine.

Last edited:

41cl8m5

I got one that goes in the place of the freeze plug on the m1009. It is the only way the thing will start when the temps go below 20 degrees. The nice thing is if you leave the lever on defrost and the other on heat, that little thing will help keep some ice off the windshield and with no insulation under the hood the "warm" engine will melt some snow. Not a lot, kind of strange going out in the morning with maybe 1/2" on the ground and the hood is just wet.
it is a little bit of a pain to remove a freeze plug from the block without damaging the hole, be careful the heater's seal is only an o-ring, and you really don't want that plug inside the block rattling around. Oh yea, if you do this drain the antifreeze out of the block that way you will only get somewhat wet taking that plug out.

Matt5

Banned
I would fix the truck if it does not start under 20F.

Never had an issues starting... Was a little iffy at -15F but... 15w40 too.

Being in minnesota, I can't see one being a bad plan you guys get some colddd temps.

Use 5w40 too.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I installed one almost 3 years ago and have yet to use it.

Truck always starts like a champ all the way down to -6*.

Road Bandit

Being in minnesota, I can't see one being a bad plan you guys get some colddd temps.

Use 5w40 too.
I dont own the truck yet but when we have -50° temps it is definitely needed

41cl8m5

Use 5w40 too.
Thanks, and I agree about fixing it, but for now it is on the back burner, I am involved in doing a frame up restoration of my M35a2, but due to life's curve balls constantly taking up all my time it is taking forever. For now the M1009 is just sitting on the property, I do start it every now and then but my focus is to finish the Deuce. I am thinking it's either the injector pump or maybe the starter is warn out and not spinning fast enough, have not replaced the starter yet. My truck is totally stock. Runs great after it gets started. Replaced everything fuel related from inside the tank to the injectors all hoses included and the glow plug system works like it should.

911joeblow

I live in cold country too and I generally stay away from the freeze heaters. I have just had too many fail when I was farthest from home and with the least amount of tools at hand ;)

I use a recirculating water pump heater into the heater circuit, it moves coolant around and gets to everything. If you leave the heater valve open the interior will get hot too. Now I am also into a bit off overkill as I also have an oil pan heater and a tranny pan heater and even a fuel filter heater. Those are all 120V except for the fuel heater which is 24V and is wired to a dash switch so I can run is all the time while driving if I need (I run 100% bio-diesel so I need to heat it in the winter).

swinters

Kats also makes block heaters and they're good ones too, at least in my experience. I just installed a Zerostart #3100057 block heater so haven't used it yet but they're highly rated and the few negatives appear to be installation errors, mainly overtightening the mounting nut. It's the first of that brand that I've done so we'll se. I've installed quite a few block heaters and this one is a real easy one. I have a piece of an old jack wrench that looks like an oversized flat tip screwdriver at the end of about an 18 inch rod and I tap on the freeze plug at the outer edge of the inner part to try to get the freeze plug to spin in the hole but that probably only works half the time and the freeze plug drops inside. No problem though if you have a mechanics magnet. Just fish it up against the hole and pull it lengthwise as far into the hole as you can. I then grab it with vise grips and pull it out. Don't pry against the hole in the block though or you can mess up the edge and cause a leak. Once I have the old freeze plug out I take a small half-round file and go lightly around the hole outer edge at a 45 degree angle just to take off any sharp edge that could cut the O-ring. Then I sand the surface of the hole, wipe it clean, lube the O-ring with silicone grease, and put it in place. I've only ever had one leak and when I pulled it the O-ring had a cut and that's when I started filing the outer edge. Never a leak since. You'll need a large drain pan and you'll probably get some coolant on you. I usually only deal with -10 degree weather or warmer and then only occasionally and my CUCV will start at those temps but it's way better for the engine to be warmer when it's started. 911joeblow's approach is even better if your climate and use dictates it, too.

41cl8m5

swinters is right on the spot. Thumbs up!
The coolant "inline" hose pump heater style was originally designed for tractors and are universal. Just need to figure out
your heater hose size for getting some new hose, length will depend on where you plan on putting the thing. Manufacture and the wattage will give you the size. I have one that I plan one putting in my wife's M1010 but her truck starts just fine all time when it needs to. Another back burner thing.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks