• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Block Heater

zway

Hey guys, I'm planning on installing a block heater on my newly acquired M1009. I live in Wyoming where the temperature is regularly around zero at night and most times much colder.

I was curious if any of you have any experience with them. I have found that I can install the tank type heater and plumb it in or the immersion type heater that installs directly into the engine block.

Any experience anyone has or suggestions on which might be a better fit would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

zway

Outstanding.....that's kind of the way I was leaning. Thank you sir.

Just curious.....do you leave it plugged in over night or just plug it in before you get ready to fire her up?

diverman555

In Memorial
In Memorial
I'm going to put in a block heater in my M923A1 but I;m going to use the screw in kind that plugs into the house or just electric. they are the stock kind that go in the new diesel P/u's.

zaxcucv

You only need a few hrs. You can put a timer on it . I just have the cord at the garage door so you can reach out and plug in. there is a differance in a warm block.
+1 on the timer. I have a heavy duty timer set to turn on at 4am for a 7:30am start and it seems to work fine. And saves a whole bunch of electricity at 600W continuous.

zway

Great, thanks for all the suggestions guys. An immersion heater and heavy duty timer sounds like my winning combination.

2INSANE

I put a 1000 watt block heater in mine. We are neighbors so we have about the same temps. 600 watt is good too but 1000 watt way better

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
At 300W mine warms the entire front of the truck. I could feel the difference anywhere inside the engine compartment. At 1000W I could see it without a flashlight from the glow........

;-)

Mine is inside though and it does make a big difference.

biggestc69

I'm using the Katz tank heater. It works great! It circulates the water and has a thermostate built into it so it wont run contiously. Install is easy, just "t" into the lower radiator hose and then "t" into the lower heater hose.

2INSANE

My 1000 watt block heater on my blazer, inside the block. It's nice because the motor and fluids are warm and it heats up the cab very quick. I got a 600 watt in my truck. It's ok but I prefer the 1000 watt. And no it does not "Glow" lol! :???:

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Has any one ever tried using a mag type heater to thaw the fuel tank? I know if left to long you would probally end up with a pretty fire. Mabye something like a 300w?

2INSANE

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Has any one ever tried using a mag type heater to thaw the fuel tank? I know if left to long you would probally end up with a pretty fire. Mabye something like a 300w?

See my earlier post about the 300W magnetic.

I was getting ready to buy three more of them and use one for the fuel tank. Now, not so much.

;-)

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are some HOT START 1500 watt 120v. Model# SB115100-000 kits in the classifieds for $48.00 plus shipping , easy install they hook into your heater line.

Iceman3005

I use a zero start 1500 watt tank style circulator pump, it flows coolant through the pump/heater then through the engine on to the radiator then the heater core and back to the pump/heater. If I have the defroster lever open it keeps the window clean from snow and frost and keeps engine/heater core/radiator warm. Was about 0 degrees here a couple of weeks ago, glow plugs came on for 4 seconds and shut off, engine fired right up!

BIG_RED

I run 2x 600 watt immersion heaters, one on each side of the block. I use only one until it gets close to 0*F. I use both when it's like -40*. I leave mine on overnight if the roads are real bad, because there's a good chance I'll get a call in the middle of the night to go get somebody who ditched themselves. Otherwise I run both starting at 4 AM on a timer, Start the truck at 6:50 and drive away around 7:00 - 7:10. I run the heaters and the truck longer as it gets colder. The advantage to having 2 heaters is that you have 2 heat settings, you have a little redundancy (if one fails you'll still have 600 watts of heat and will probably be able to get your truck started that day) and if your glowplugs fry - you can move your truck indoors and plug it in for 2 hours (keeping an eye on it) and the engine block will warm up enough to start without glowplugs (ask me how I know :p).

Imersion heaters are 10X better than anything that connects to a hose IMHO. It was frequently -30*F and colder last year where I run our trucks. An inline heater might work fine somewhere it's not so cold, but too much heat is lost in the hose when it's -40*. Immersions are safer too, since the heat elements are under coolant where they can't start a fire (although the power wires should still be carefully routed & checked often to avoid trouble).

Pan heaters are for heating Oil, not Engine Blocks. They may heat the block a little by heat conduction if you live somewhere warmer, but here - not at all. In case anyone didn't know, warmer oil (when it's real cold out) helps prevent wear to your engine when it's starting by keeping it thinner and having it flow faster to where it's needed. I don't have one yet, but I am looking for one. I would say for "getting it started when it's cold" you want a block heater or both, not just an oil heater.

I would 2nd the "no stick on heaters on the fuel tank" rule.. Around here, the fuel companies add the winter additives for us (and charge $0.10/Quart more) so our fuel doesn't gel up. I'd recommend the chemical fix rather than heating the tank with electric heaters. Sounds safer and not much more expensive. Good luck!

zway

Thanks to everyone for the great advice. I think I'm going to go with the 1000W immersion heater. Just a single one for now, and see from there if I need a second.

Next question.....I have never installed something like this. How hard is it to pop out the middle freeze plug on the driver side to install the heater?

Thanks again to everyone!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks