• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Block Heaters.

KSBOB

Hey all, I already put in a block heater on one of my CUCVs and am really impressed with the results. Now are there any cautionary notes you guys have on these... I went with the one that replaces a freeze plug. I have already upgraded to silicone hoses. It keeps the block at about 105F in single digit weather. Makes a HUGE difference starting. I will do the other truck this weekend. These things are pretty impressive offroad.

Thanks in advance.

Rob

MATT

Block heaters for 6.2L are great, there are no cautions about them. Just remember to use a heavy(thick) extension cord with a ground(3 prong) and do not keep the extension cord coiled up. Buy the correct lenght cord. If the cord is coiled the heater will not perform well and it can damage the heater.

Matt

n1vbn

MATT said:
Block heaters for 6.2L are great, there are no cautions about them. Just remember to use a heavy(thick) extension cord with a ground(3 prong) and do not keep the extension cord coiled up. Buy the correct lenght cord. If the cord is coiled the heater will not perform well and it can damage the heater.

Matt
Block heaters make a big difference in cold weather starting ease BUT there is one little iitty bitty item that can kill the block heater. Always before you start the engine unplug the heater....if you don't the vibration the engine (gas or Diesel) WILL cause it to fail much earlier than it should have. The other reason why you should do this before you start the engine is you feel about 6 inches high when you rip the power cord off the wall or truck when you back out and then remember you hadn't removed the power cord to the block heater........RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP!!!

It happened to me many moons ago and it will happen to you if you don't get in the habit of removing the plug before you enter the vehicle to start it.

James Shanks
1985 M-1009
1998 IMZ 8.103

mangus580

I never thought of the vibration... my rule is that I dont start the truck and just take off anyway. I usually head back into the house for a few and let it idle....

Wyattearp

hey guys im back, well i have first hand knowledge of the block heaters, both my dodge rams with cummins engines have them, i know on these you can start the truck with it still plugged up and current going to it with no problems, one thing you can do and its a pretty sure fire way to not forget to unplug the cord is drape your ext. cord over your drivers side mirror and unless our really out of it you should never forget to unplug it... Of course now the cummins engine does not have glow plugs to mess with, and i know that running a powerstroke or one that has glowplugs such as the 6.2 will reduce the life of your glow plugs, best thing is to have the outlet the cord is plugged into ran to a outlet with a switch in the house, before you leave out turn it off and tada no problems just make sure to unplug it, the wife may get upset if you dewire the house with your truck.

Wyattearp

well i asked the same question as my cousin has a powerstroke with the 7.3 and his went out, for some reason if you constantly keep the block heater plugged up it has a tendency to cause glow plug failure the diesel mechanic said they were not sure why but they replace way to many, it has something to do with the heat in the block along with the glowplugs getting hot when they cycle. And i don't know how true it is, but i have heard that plugging one up constantly that it will get to where you have to plug it up all the time, sort of something similiar to using ether or a starting fluid, the engine gets addicted to it and won't start without it.

Wyattearp

H0w are things in your neck of the woods Mangus, we have almost 2 inches of sleet/snow/freezing rain here...

Wyattearp

i feel for you guys, its a mess down here, can only imagine once it refreezes tonight, hopefully if all goes well i should be in the chat room some tonight, gotta catch up.

n1vbn

Block heater is as follows.

Kats Part number 10612 600 watts freeze plug block heater. I paid $20 for mine a Derry Auto Parts Derry, NH.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks