• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Block heaters

wdbtchr

I have one 600 watt frost plug heater in each side. Both from Zerostart. $30 - $35 each. I'd replace the coolant for $25 while you're at it, instead of putting that old crap back in. I like the idea of a coolant filter. New thermostat ($12) is easy to do when the coolant is out too, just make sure to get a new gasket (for $2). I also replaced all coolant gaskets cause most of mine leaked, and added a temp gauge sender for a future temp gauge. Putting a block heater in the passenger side is a pain, but it helps ALOT when it's as cold as it is here (-40*). If you do your coolant, maybe do the rad cap for $10. Mine was probably original and let steam out like crazy.

If you're really crazy about cleaning out your motor, flush it till clean water comes out. You'd think your cooling system's clean at that point, right? Drain it again and fill with a gallon of vineagar and the rest water, then let it run for 5 minutes (this may damage seals, keep that in mind if you do this. Although vinegar is pretty weak acid in my opinion). Check out what nasty liquid came out of mine after a vinegar flush:
This may be old news for some, but for newer members.

Back in the late 60s and early 70s when we were building racing engines out of small block Chevies, we would hot tank the bare blocks and heads before doing the machine work,(even new blocks). Afterwards we used picks to clean out the water jackets, you wouldn't believe how much casting sand we could fish out. Thats what the so called "freeze plug holes" are really for, the sand moulds when casting blocks and heads.

BIG_RED

This may be old news for some, but for newer members.

Back in the late 60s and early 70s when we were building racing engines out of small block Chevies, we would hot tank the bare blocks and heads before doing the machine work,(even new blocks). Afterwards we used picks to clean out the water jackets, you wouldn't believe how much casting sand we could fish out. Thats what the so called "freeze plug holes" are really for, the sand moulds when casting blocks and heads.
I knew the frost plug holes were for getting the sand out after casting.. but I wouldn't have thought that some sand would still be in there when the engine was finished. I guess the OEMs don't do the best job of cleaning them out.. that makes alot of sense, cause there was tons of sand in that pale after the vinegar flush on my engine.. I figured it was poured in with dirty coolent or something. Cool. Thanks for that info :)

CUCV85

What's the difference between a screw in heater and one of these freeze plug removal heaters?
I don't understand what you mean "a screw in heater"?
You do have to tighten up a screw to expand the rubber plug once you install the freeze plug TYPE Engine Block Heater.
Don't buy the Dipstick heater JUNK, stay away from the bottom Radiator Hose coolant heater. Do a block heater at the 2ND freeze plug on drivers side.
Napa 30.00 tell them 1984 6.2 Diesel "WELL WORTH IT."
If you want to go nuts install the same block heater on the passengers side and you'll have 2, it's not necessary though unless your well under zero for many days that you actually use the truck... I use a timer and have it on for 2 hours prior to starting.

wdbtchr

I don't understand what you mean "a screw in heater"?
You do have to tighten up a screw to expand the rubber plug once you install the freeze plug TYPE Engine Block Heater.
Don't buy the Dipstick heater JUNK, stay away from the bottom Radiator Hose coolant heater. Do a block heater at the 2ND freeze plug on drivers side.
Napa 30.00 tell them 1984 6.2 Diesel "WELL WORTH IT."
If you want to go nuts install the same block heater on the passengers side and you'll have 2, it's not necessary though unless your well under zero for many days that you actually use the truck... I use a timer and have it on for 2 hours prior to starting.
I think he's talking about the pipe thread heater that screws into the coolant return line in the front of the engine.