• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Block Warmer Questions

kenz5380

I was about to install a freeze plug type engine block heater this weekend when I thought of some questions that I needed answered before I get into this.

-Has anyone used a heater hose type engine warmer instead of the freeze plug mounted unit, and what was your opinion of it? They seem much easier to install and I have been told they are far superior in performance, but I have never used one.

-If mounting a freeze plug unit in either of the two middle freeze plugs on the drivers side, which direction should the heating element be facing? Up towards the intake, down towards the ground, front, back, or does it only fit one way? The heater instructions were very specific that you must have it facing the correct direction, but did not include the index of applications that said what was the correct direction for the 6.2.

-Does anyone have any feelings about block warmers in general that I should be aware of? My experience with them has been good, but I'd like to hear if anyone has had any bad experiences.

Thanks

jwaller

I put 2 freeze plug heaters in the hmmwv's 6.5L. The direction you face the element is not important what is important is that it does not touch the block once it is installed. it will short out.

the inline hose type heater will not do anything for your application. they are way too small.

3dAngus

Here is a link to the Hotstart 1500 watt block warmer. It might give you some additional information which will help you make up your mind.

I have one in shrink wrap, but it is currently under review by another SSer. I might put it up on the classifieds tomorrow if he can't use it. Install is pretty easy, and it will go on almost any vehicle as a 1500watt block warmer. Of course, my price would not be anywhere near retail indicated in the link below, so don't panic on it.

Your Web Browser does not allow this website to use cookies

http://www.davidsonsalesshop.com/catalog/files/Products/Hotstart/CB,%20SB%20installation%20instructions.pdf

blybrook

You live in a slightly more temperate climate than I and a hose heater may survive. I do say MAY with strong thoughts that it will not last very long. I remember testing one on a Chevy 1500 in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan with dismal results.

Due to that test, I will not have one in any of my vehicles; I prefer block heater through a frost plug. I have 1 block heater on my daily driver (F250 diesel) with an oil pan heater pad and battery heater pads. It works well at -40*F and colder with a 4 hour preheat time. I have not had any problems in the past with the truck not wanting to start while being plugged in. I believe that my engine heater is 1500w, the oil pan is 500w and the battery heaters are 150w each. Some locals also like to put an oil pan type heater on the transmission pan (automatics only) to help preheat that fluid as well.

The ONLY bad things that can happen with an engine mounted block heater is them shorting out due to element to block connection and leakage due to improper plug hole preparation & installation. Those are the two main culprits for a failure; but be sure to get one that you can change the cord out as cords like to get brittle at -20* and colder. Most cords will lead to shorts and you'll have to replace the assembly *typically every two to three years*.

When refilling, be sure to mix the antifreeze yourself instead of the pre-mix stuff for the coldest temperatures you should expect to be in. I run my mix to -50*F and its held up fine for me.

kenz5380

Thanks for all the info. I still am not certain what type of warmer I am going to use, but I appreciate the information. I'll probably make a call on one of these in the next couple of weeks.

I run both the plug heater and the lower rad hose heater up here in the Colorado mountains. They work great.

If you were to get just one, definitely get the plug heater.

CROM

I have the lower hose heater in my M1009. It's my first experience with a block heater, so I can't compare it to the freeze plug type. I had to install a new radiator last winter, so I had a perfect opportunity to put the heater on. You'll obvoulsly loose the majority of your coolant on the install. I immediately noticed a huge difference in starting after the install. I'm in Des Moines, and we have regular temps below zero out here.

In fact, it's been so cold these past few winters, I'm planning on doing what Makers (above) is doing and installing a freeze plug heater as well. I'll only use both when it gets stupid cold and I can't park the truck in the garage for some reason. It's worth the extra $60 to save the $300 starter.

ZiggyO

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello all,

I have used both the hose type and block type heaters and I prefer the block heater hands down. If I am not mistaken, the block heaters typically available for the 6.2 come in either a 600w or a 1000w version. I would suggest getting the 1000w version if you can as it cuts the preheat time down considerably.

Ziggy

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The 600w version is just as good as the 1000w. The energy consumption is half and there is no difference in starting when it's 0- 10 degrees out. The glow plug system will still cycle and start as if it was 80 out. IMHO, I would pay less to plug it in with the same results.

BTW, my generators are liquid cooled and have the same heater.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks