• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Blow-by assessment - opinions needed!

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did some PMCS on the truck today.
It always had noticeable blow-by from the slobber tube. I am about to rip the valve covers off and adjust the valves and I thought I post a little video here to get opinions as to whether this is normal, questionable or downright bad.

Engine is a LD-465 with a D-turbo. Runs fine, plenty of power. I do not hear strange noises or valve train clatter - but I really cannot compare it to another truck.

http://youtu.be/MbfPXLk04dQ

Last edited:

JasonS

A fair bit more than my brother's truck; a lot more than my truck. Don't really know what is normal. Typically, you would check crankcase pressure with a manometer; if excessive, followup with a compression test.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If it does not "use" or loose oil, don't worry about it.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
i would saw that is way excessive, but i have seen worse. mine is a 1974 engine that was run hot several times, has scored cylinder walls, piston noise, and for some reason has almost no blow-by.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If it does not "use" or loose oil, don't worry about it.
Nope, no noticeable oil consumption. It oozes a little oil that the fan blows around and I am still not sure where it comes from. I suspect the air compressor gasket. I cleaned everything but cannot find it on idle or running the engine up without load. Oils when under load but I have not yet found a way to climb into the engine bay while driving up a hill.

rayzer, thanks for the tip with the compressor. I just cleaned the air filter on it but did not check the compressor. It produces pressure, that is all I know. I should also check turbo shaft play. A loose turbo can cause blowby, too.

welldigger

That is considerable blow by. My truck has almost zero. Even on a cold morning nothing comes out of my slobber tube.

Since its running good and not using oil I wouldn't worry about it much since the fix would be to re-ring the pistons.

welldigger

How is the compressor tied in to creating blow by? I've seen the mount the compressor mounts to and looks as if it is almost part of the block?
The engine oil that lubricates the compressor drains through the bottom directly into the crank case. When the rings in the compressor wear out the blowby from the compressor is vented into the crankcase.

todds112

So, remove the compresser belt and run it and see the difference? Is there a rebuild kit/procedure for the compressor? I have alot of blowby. My compressor is a bit loud.

welldigger

So, remove the compresser belt and run it and see the difference? Is there a rebuild kit/procedure for the compressor? I have alot of blowby. My compressor is a bit loud.
That would be a sure fire way to tell. But if your compressor still builds pressure and you have excessive blow by I honestly don't think it will be the air compressor. More likely your engine piston rings are worn.

If by chance it is your air compressor just replace it. If you look around n.o.s ones are available for a couple hundred bucks.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Loosened the compressor belt all the way and ran engine. No difference in the blowby. Thanks for the differential diagnosis.
When I hold the (gloved) hand half an inch about the oil filler opening I can feel the pulsating of the gases coming out. Piston ring/valve issue?

I am planning to service the injectors, adjust the valves and do a compression test. Perhaps I will have more facts after that.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks