• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

blow by on a 6.2 with only 60k

84cucv1ton

looked at a m1008 with a friend. think its called blow by. we go it started after a bit of looking at it.. seem to run ok. then i see there is some kinda smoke coming up fro the intake and the oil fill cap.

any ideas?? what could this be? bad egr? thanks

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
mos likely the rings. check to see if the CDR valve is clogged. If so this could cause your problem. The best way to determine if you have a major problem would be to have a cmpression check done on all cylinders.

3dubs

Yup! It is blow by! It is not hat hard to rebuild. I posted a thread about it. I rebuilt mine under a picnic tent. Remove the fuel filter bracket and the oil cooler lines before pulling! I can tell you all about it. I spent about $500 and replaced the IP and added a stud girdle. Do not listen to people that say how hard it is. If you have the space and do not mind getting inside the engine it is not that hard. PM me if you want.

GL likes starter fluid and it messes rings up. But make sure you have a heavy duty lift and stand. IT WILL BREAK THE ONES FOR GAS ENGINES. The diesel is much heavier!

motormayhem

Mine has a small amount of blow by and it has 60,000 on the clock. With the oil cap off and the engine running there is white smoke if you look down the tube but it is small enough that with the fan blowing you can't see any coming out. If it is small like mine I think it is normal and nothing to worry about. I have never seen a motor that has absolutely no blow by in the crankcase. It always gets a little smokey in there, thats why the oil turns black (combustion soot getting by the pistons). Does it burn oil?

Last edited:

3dubs

I would not say any smoke is normal. I would say save the money for a rebuild and keep driving it. You will have a loss of power and it will run hotter. Eventually the engine will shut down because it gets too hot. All you have to replace are the gaskets and rings. Then clean all the carbon buildup. You should replace the main bearings while is is apart.

DokWatson

I've never had any engine that didn't have a smokey crankcase with the filler cap off. Especially after sitting in one spot running for awhile. My take on it... if it isn't knocking and still moves, drive on.

motormayhem

This is similar to mine...a little more than mine does, but if yours is anything like this and it has no symptoms of issues I think your fine, especially if it goes away or reduces when it is revved.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xP9UTR_I0dk[/media]

Last edited:

3dubs

I've never had any engine that didn't have a smokey crankcase with the filler cap off. Especially after sitting in one spot running for awhile. My take on it... if it isn't knocking and still moves, drive on.
X2
I would not rebuild until it smokes like a train or you notice a loss of power. After my rebuild the increase in power was very noticeable. So if it is running fine don't worry about. You will know when it is time.

BIG_RED

My M1009 had 67,000 miles when I got her and she smoked like the video. Smokes about the same 7,000 miles later. Smoked like a train when the CDR stuck open and she sucked tons of oil mist out of the crankcase into the intake... Was so bad that standing at the drivers door I could barely see the back of the truck. That's like 6 foot visibility. Burned like half a quart of oil in 5 minutes too. Then I shut her down, unhooked the CDR and drove 5 miles home without smoke. WD40 brought the CDR back to life, no problems since. Apparently you're supposed to clean the CDR every so often and replace it like every 30,000 miles or something silly like that.

CUCV85

My M1009 had 67,000 miles when I got her and she smoked like the video. Smokes about the same 7,000 miles later. Smoked like a train when the CDR stuck open and she sucked tons of oil mist out of the crankcase into the intake... Was so bad that standing at the drivers door I could barely see the back of the truck. That's like 6 foot visibility. Burned like half a quart of oil in 5 minutes too. Then I shut her down, unhooked the CDR and drove 5 miles home without smoke. WD40 brought the CDR back to life, no problems since. Apparently you're supposed to clean the CDR every so often and replace it like every 30,000 miles or something silly like that.

That's right WD-40 Cleans/fogs my CDR once a year. :beer:
Some use Brake Cleaner...

84cucv1ton

just cleaned the crd on my friends truck.. took all of 20 min. used brake cleaner. there is still some smoke that comes up like in the video but its way less now. thanks learned something new

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks